The Shop > Metal Stuff

A small pot belly stove.

<< < (3/4) > >>

NeoTech:
Thats actually a great ide.. will try that. Can just plasma cut the strips from some 1.5mm sheet. =)

Manxmodder:
The fins are a good and simple method of increasing the heat exchange rate. I think they will need to be somewhat thicker material than 1.5mm sheet. To get good effect the fins need to have some mass,and I would be thinking of making them from something like 10mm thick steel.Also the more continuous the weld joint is then the better the conductive exchange rate will be. Tack welding won't give as good a transfer area rate....OZ.

DavidA:
Glycol is flammable, be careful.

It is one reason never to inspect the antifreeze level in your car's radiator with a naked flame (a match).

I find that most of the heat with my own pot bellied stove comes from the exhaust stack. It is vertical from the top and the draw effect is very helpful in getting it going.

Dave.

wgw:
If you cool the pipe to much you will get tar oil etc. condensing in the pipe, as well as affecting the draught. What arrangement have you for getting air into the bottom for combustion ?. To get a cold stove going get a couple of sheets of newspaper and light them in the stove near the flue outlet, that will get hot air flowing up the pipe. Can make a big  difference.

NeoTech:
Oh the arrangement is only a piece of 80x40mm square tube welded into the bottom. Should put a grate in there as well would prob. help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version