The Shop > Finishing

Citric Acid Concentration?

<< < (3/9) > >>

AdeV:

--- Quote from: seadog on October 11, 2016, 04:29:46 AM ---I've used both citric acid and vinegar. They both seem equally effective and, if you leave the item for a long period, it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the base metal. My preference is vinegar and I've just cleaned a very rusty machine vice using it. I bought 5 litres of 99% acetic acid, from a supplier I've used before on eBay, and that should do me for a long time. It's certainly much more cost effective as it's typically diluted to around 5%.

--- End quote ---

Hi Seadog,

How long did you have that vice base in the acid? Was the mixture warm or cold?

I ask as I have some exceedingly rusty cast iron drain covers I'd like to de-rust, and a nice long bath in either citric or acetic acid seems to be a popular and low-cost method of doing that.

Also, does anyone know what effect (if any) the acid would have on enamel? I've got an old metal bath which was waiting to go to the scrappy, but I might just re-purpose it, if the acid will leave the enamel alone...

Will_D:

--- Quote from: AdeV on October 13, 2016, 05:37:43 AM ---Also, does anyone know what effect (if any) the acid would have on enamel? I've got an old metal bath which was waiting to go to the scrappy, but I might just re-purpose it, if the acid will leave the enamel alone...

--- End quote ---
Bath Enamel is a form of vitrified glass and is therefore very acid resistant.

Glass and enamel do NOT like caustic solutions as they can dissolve the glass.

Check what the flug hole is fitted with as an acid may well eat away at the brass (of chromed fittings)

HTH will

seadog:
How long did you have that vice base in the acid? Was the mixture warm or cold?

I left it for a couple of hours by which time it could be easily rubbed off with some wire wool. The solution was cold. I left the sliding jaw in solution for a couple of weeks while I was on holiday. It came out a treat.

AdeV:
Thanks Will & Seadog  :thumbup:

Will - the plug fitting is chrome over brass (I assume), but if it gets eaten I'll just replace it with a plastic fitting. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend  :ddb:

sparky961:
So, it would seem finding a source for citric acid without the help of the Internet is rather tricky in these parts.  I've visited a local farm supply, and not surprisingly I had the guy at the counter stumped.  Pekka seems to be correct though in his statement that it's used as a food/water additive for pigs.  The guy said to leave my name and number and they'd check into it for me.  Of course, the last time I did that when I needed an air filter for my chainsaw I never heard from them.  Does it make me old if I think that customer service isn't what it used to be?

The online sources seem to be the way to go, though there's a huge price range and package size options abound.  The place I was going to get it, the same place the original stuff came from a while back, now wants to tack $25 CAD on any orders less than $75 CAD.  Then there's shipping, for which you generally have to go through the whole order and address entry procedure, only to choke out "WHAT THE .... ? You gonna deliver it personally by limousine for that??"

<sigh> ... I'm sure I'll figure it out.  I just wish it took less time to narrow it down to get the best value without ending up with a 10 year supply that turns into a solid chunk after a year of storage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version