The Shop > Finishing

Citric Acid Concentration?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Auskart:
http://metalworkforums.com/f65/t199727-citric-acid

sparky961:

--- Quote from: Auskart on October 10, 2016, 07:31:02 PM ---http://metalworkforums.com/f65/t199727-citric-acid

--- End quote ---

Great link, thanks!

Anyone know if crystals are crystals, or if there are different strengths - perhaps cut with other benign ingredients?  The ones I used were originally from a bath & body products wholesale supplier.

Earlier this evening I used what I lad left over, which was about 50ml or crystals in 2000ml of warm water (because it worked for the container and part within).  It seems to be working, perhaps a little quickly so I'm checking on it regularly.

I, too, used to use hydrochloric acid on parts.  Frighteningly quick rust removal!  But yeah, nasty stuff to work with and nasty to anything nearby.

PekkaNF:
I would imagine hat for cosmetic products, they would have much other stuff.

Here in finlad there are basically three sources:
* Farm supply shops. Looks like it is used to treat pigs, 5 kg pail is afordable
* Chemical suplly, not too bad if you need only a little
* Food/spice shops, but it is more expensive. Sometimes those pasltic tall industrial kitchen sizes are not too bad.

* Pharmacies are eye watering expensive.

Citric accid is nce to use, but not instant, specially if you cant heat it up to 60C and you need to scrub it clean, but it is nice to use and does not really ruin anything - including health. And recycling is easy, it does not harm sewer when diluted.

Pekka

seadog:
I've used both citric acid and vinegar. They both seem equally effective and, if you leave the item for a long period, it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the base metal. My preference is vinegar and I've just cleaned a very rusty machine vice using it. I bought 5 litres of 99% acetic acid, from a supplier I've used before on eBay, and that should do me for a long time. It's certainly much more cost effective as it's typically diluted to around 5%.

Auskart:
Citric Acid is also good for cleaning the Black Scale of hot rolled steel before machining or marking out  :bugeye:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version