The Shop > Tools

My mill' verticle DRO....

<< < (2/3) > >>

Divided he ad:
John... Erm, yes and yes  :thumbup:   Only a bit less than happy at my method! .... It's all a learning curve eh?!  But it will indeed "do"  ::)

Darren, I know about your games of "snap"... You told us :doh:  thing is I haven't done it for a while so I think it gets you more annoyed than it should?

Bernd.... Carefully and using little plunge cuts with just the very edge of the mill, down each side of the tap. Just enough to get the pliers in  :dremel:

--- Quote ---Nice save by the way. You are becoming a true machinist.
--- End quote ---
Glad I saved it, gutted I did it in the first place, happy that it worked! .... Not so sure about the second part of that quote  :scratch: I have much to learn!!

Stew, I'm looking forward to using it.... Was too late last night to run through much work, Not your fault about the drill... I used it! didn't appreciate the flex at that length.... It still got through like it should  :)

Generally I am happy that it works, was very happy with the lathe work, that worked out exactly as planned :thumbup:
Just a bit more time on the mill required I think.... I thought it all good till the snap!

Thank you all.

Got to get to work!!!  :bugeye:

Ralph.

John-Som:
Hi Ralph (peeping out of the closet)

A truly neat installation of your Z axis reader Ralph. Has me wondering about your method of installing X and Y axes vernier and reading heads. I am about to give the DRO installation on my Chester Conquest a good seeing to with two objectives

1) To get a more rigid installation - (think I'll give cut up beer cans for brackets a miss this time) and

2) Provision to guard against the infiltration of swarf, chips and other detreous - more than once I have had critical measurements on my DROs corrupted by muck in the read heads.

I have sent off for these plans http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/droplans.htm which could be interesting.

I was tempted to buy a set of linear encoders and one of those multi function display panels from a manufcturer in Taiwan for 'special offer' of around £240 plus shipping and import duty. http://www.carmar-tech.com/en/products/ I don't think there would have been much saving at TEOTD against our UK supplier.

I would be grateful for any sugestions for keeping the read heads clean.

JohnS

CrewCab:
Well done that man, fitted pretty much as anticipated then  :coffee:  nice one,

just a thought, if you had milled a flat first of all it could have made the drilling easier and doubles up as a face for the bolt head to clamp on to ............... 20/20 hindsight ........ wonderful eh, don't ask how I came up with the idea though  :hammer:

Good result  :beer:

CC

Stilldrillin:
Nowt much wrong with that finished job Ralph, very nicely done! :clap:

The snap gave you a much better story to tell......   :thumbup:

David D

sbwhart:
Hi Ralph

You've got me thinking  :scratch: of fitting my redundant DRO off my 3 in 1 to my pillar drill I reckon it'll be a handy addition.
 :proj:

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version