The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Please School Me on Magnetometers

<< < (2/3) > >>

Joules:
Ground penetrating radar, maybe the local university or archaeology department would like to train some students in your field ?

Hmmmmm you never mentioned the  :zap:  11kv

modeng200023:
The simplest answer Andrew is a pair of dowsing rods  :doh:

Will_D:
Whats in th ecast iron water pipes? Its not a daft question! are they empty of full of water?

Reason I ask is we had a survey done in the rugby club which found Electric/Water/gas pipes under abouy 1 meter of backfill.

If the pipes are empty and so don't respond to a water pipe check could you apply a vol;tage across them somehow and pick then up with a field-strength-meter.

BTW: last magnetometer I saw was mounted on a Nimrod sub hunter and called a M.A.D. (magnetic anomoly detector).

Know anyone with a working Nimrod?

awemawson:
Will, if I knew that I wouldn't need to worry!

This farm at one period (early 1930's) was owned by Hastings Borough Council, who had water bore holes all over the place piped to a pumping station. In the late 1960's it was purchased by the then tenant farmer under the leasehold reform act. Since then the pumping station, which was excluded from the sale, has gone through several hands ending up now with South East Water. Although the deeds carry some wayleaves for pipes laid over the years the attached plans are not at all accurate, not are they complete.

Certainly some are, in their words, 'disused, abandoned' however equally certainly there is at least one huge pipe feeding three local villages, and I believe another one importing water from Southern Water to SE Water. In places pipes cross streams and are visible, but don't seem to go in straight line so are not following predictable route  :bang:

Theoretically ALL the pipes (by deed in the way leaves) are deeper than I need to go, however I KNOW that in places they are not  :bang:

In one case there is a 200 mm pipe in an early plastic so not detectable, however it is one that I know is redundant as it's been cut where it crosses a neighbours ditches.

All a bit of a mess really. At the far end of the field there is a linear undulation feature of raised hump running parallel to a depression - for all the world like a filled in pipe trench that has settled over the years, but local legend says it's the remnants of a horse drawn railway running from a powder mill in my neighbours field (mill stones still in situ) to 'Magazine Farm' about a mile away where the powder was stored after there had been a huge (well documented) explosion. It's a pain in the neck when mowing and I'm tempted to level it with the JCB, but perhaps I should persuade Time Team to look at it and do a geophysical survey of the whole field  :lol:

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi Andrew,
A Cat and Genny should work ok on the pipes that have a part exposed where you can sit the genny on
or connect the signal cable to the pipe
if the pipes are all connected than one genny location should work
Theres about a 5M radius from where the genny is positioned where it wont work, due to the strenght of the signal
With the genny setting  the cat should not get interference from the power line
I used to work in a power station and did ground searches on hundreds of digs in the grounds around it
It took quite a lot of practice to differentiate between power cables and random bits of metal due to the effects from the overhead HV lines and the generators runnning
The trick was to set the cat as low as possible on a known power cable before scanning (and after to ensure it was still detecting)

Cheers
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version