Author Topic: How to get a good splice on a leather drive belt  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Pete.

How to get a good splice on a leather drive belt
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:34:56 PM »
I wasn't happy with the state of the lacing on my surface grinder's leather drive belt, or the fact that it was stretched to the end of the adjustment (and there's a lot of adjustment) so I decided to try my hand at splicing the belt and if that didn't work I'd buy a new composite one.

I knew nothing about belt splicing so I checked out a few websites and a couple of youtube vids and made myself a plan. By backing off all the adjustment I got a healthy 100mm/4" over-lap on the belt ends. The belt is a 3/16" (5mm) thick leather item and was in ok condition other than the dodgy clipper lace.

I got a piece of scrap flat bar that was a good match for the belt width. Actually I stacked three of them and sandwiched them between two pieces of scrap plate. I set the flat bar to slope down from the top edge of the plate by 5mm over 100mm and clamped it with two g-clamps (actually I tacked it with a few small welds too but that's not necessary). Then I put the belt in the jig and used a 5" grinder with a 36 grit sanding disk to taper the end from full thickness down to about 1mm thick at the end. After that I took a file and filed a step in the jig (and the belt) and generally cleaned it up.

After doing the second side I took some normal evo-stik contact adhesive (red tube with IMPACT on it) and slathered a goodly amount on one side of the belt splice then squidged the other side all over it to give them both a generous coat and try to soak some in a bit. I held it like that for about 20 seconds then slid them apart and scraped away the excess with a razor blade. After it went tacky I put the two halves together and clamped it up with a bit of scrap ally plate for about 18 hrs.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:14:43 PM by Pete. »

Offline Pete.

Re: How to get a good splice on a leather drive belt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
I un-clamped it today and it's spot-on. I installed it in the grinder and ran it for over an hour and it still looks perfect and that's at 3000rpm on a 4" wheel so it's had a good workout. You can just make out the join in the pic below.

It would be just as easy to make a quick jig to shape the ends, then install the belt on a lathe and clamp it up there so that you can join a belt without stripping out the pulley shafts or spindle.

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
Nice fix :thumbup:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
Nice fix :thumbup:

I second that , one to remember  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »
A splendid job - our (probably slower running) belts on the farm, such as the one between the Petter engine and corn-roller, used to use "alligator clips" such as the ones show on Tony's lathes site at http://www.lathes.co.uk/flatbeltclips/

Dave

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
I have a lacing clipper tool and would have bought some 3/16" laces for it if it didn't have so much excess length that allowed me to splice it. It's nice not having the constant ticking noise too.