Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8  (Read 6237 times)

bogstandard

Internet Explorer 8
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:36 AM »
You must know what it is like, to let a bit of software instal, only to find that after an hour of use, you wish you had pressed cancel instead.

IE8 is now being offered as a standard upgrade (I use XP pro).

I installed it, but it was so full of bugs, it was almost unuseable. A good example, I could not have done this post with it installed. As I was typing the text, it would jump up to another part of my compilation, when I reset it to where I typed the last bit, as soon as I touched the keyboard it would jump out of view again.

This was just one problem of many that I found.

It is easy to fix, just uninstal IE8 and you will be back to where you were.

I think I will leave it a while until all the bugs are sorted.

This isn't a dive in post for saying I use such and such because it is better, but a general warning to people who use Internet Explorer.

John

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Internet Explorer 8
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:18:15 AM »
They do like, sending them out before making them work correctly  :doh: and taking their time to fix them. All software companies seem to suffer from that affliction some time or other.
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:23:21 AM »

I dont even use "exploerer" To many security issues. I use Mozilla Firefox. Its a lot more secure without all the bugs. I have used it for years with no problems.
  Just google it, it should take you to the mozilla site.

Oh Its FREE.

Ron

ja2on

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
Another thumbs up here for firefox I have used it for a few years as well  :thumbup:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »
This isn't a dive in post for saying I use such and such because it is better, but a general warning to people who use Internet Explorer.

Seen and heard it all before, and I don't want to be blamed for starting a browser war.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I was just giving a warning to people who favour using internet explorer.

John

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
You must know what it is like, to let a bit of software instal, only to find that after an hour of use, you wish you had pressed cancel instead.

IE8 is now being offered as a standard upgrade (I use XP pro).

I installed it, but it was so full of bugs, it was almost unuseable. A good example, I could not have done this post with it installed. As I was typing the text, it would jump up to another part of my compilation, when I reset it to where I typed the last bit, as soon as I touched the keyboard it would jump out of view again.

This was just one problem of many that I found.

It is easy to fix, just uninstal IE8 and you will be back to where you were.

I think I will leave it a while until all the bugs are sorted.

John

I am SO glad it's not just me. That jumpy text thing has been driving me nuts!! Back to 7 I go!
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
Todd,
I'm so glad you had the same symptoms as myself.

Imagine a total newbie finding that. By the time they had finished playing about trying to get rid of it, they would require a reformat of the drive.

Bogs

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »
At the company I work at.. you are not permitted to install IE8... Its a Axe worthy event if you do.

The last time they had a mandate like that it was Windows ME. (And yes I have been here 13+ years)
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
I thought I remembered somebody saying something about Explorer 8. My first computer I use for going on line has somehow decided it doesn't want to connect to the net via it's DSL modem so I'm using my second computer that has Exploreer 8 on it. I'm getting the same problem Bog's was with his in the "Reply Box". I'm also getting a "Done, but with errors on page" message in the lower left corner.
I went to HMEM and Explorer 8 works fine there. Now both forums use the same software. So my thought is that it's a problem with the setup of the software on Madmodder. (Sorry Eric, I'm sure you didn't want to hear that).

I'm also having problems with either this computer or the connection between my DSL modem and my ISP. Seems like text loads fine, but when it comes to pictures the computer seems to drag it's feet. Takes forever to download the pictures in to the thread. So I guess until I get things straigthed out I won't be uploading anything on my projects for now.

I'm hoping I can keep connected just to see what's going on. If I disappear for a while everybody will at least know why.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »
Which window are you using?

Anyway, dump explorer and try Firefox, it's a free download. Far fewer problems.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
That is really odd. I use IE 8 and XP Pro and have no problems. They must like me. :lol:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
IE8 has "compatibility view mode" for websites that act funny.  When set, the website reverts to IE7 behavior.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
Kirk,

Problem solved. I added it to the "compatibility view mode" and the above problems have been eliminated. Thanks. :thumbup:

Still dosen't explain why it worked ok over on HMEM and not here.

Now if I could get you to fix my other computer I'd be real happy.  :clap:

Darren,

I'v used IE for so long now I don't think I could change. I think all software has it's problems. It all depends on what other software you are running at the time. At least what Kirk mentioned has fixed my problem for now.

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
Bernd

What you are experiencing is exactly the same as I am getting. I too have the same differences between MadModder and HMEM forums. This happened to me over a month ago as soon as I upgraded to IE8 (also run XP). I believe that I tried the compatibility thing but that scr??ed something else up. Sometimes when you go to use the mouse to highlight text to copy and paste you have to wait a while before you get a cursor so you can copy. Usually once a day I have to reboot just to clear the memory (2 Gig) so it will function reasonably.

If I am reading a post and there is a link, I click on the link and it will open a new browser window and  then just sit there and work indefinitely until I hit the red X to close it. IE7 was a lot better in my mind. I regret having upgrading. I wish that I could figure out how to go back to it.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
Don,

Sounds like almost the same problem I'm having running XP and IE7 on computer #1. Right now I'm using it to type this message. After I turned it back on it seemed to connect again. Perhaps it was the threat of the 10 pound sledge that I was going to use on it for fine tuning.  :lol:

Computer #2 running with XP and IE8 seems to connect ok, but downloading is like watching molasses run down a verticle surface in the middle of February.

I can't figurre out if it's a problem with the computers or the connection from the ISP to my cable modem box. I call up the techs and first thing they want to do is reboot the computer and try to blame it on my equipment. They never want to say that they'll have a serice guy check out the connections up to the house.

Oh well. I'm going to have to try and get a different new hard drive and load up the OP system. Then only load the web browser and see if that makes a difference. Drives are prety cheap and I can always use another disk drive in case one of my older ones craps out.

Tiger Direct here comes my charge card.  :lol:

Regards,
Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
Bernd

I know its tempting to fine tune with that big persuader but its kind of hard to undu. :lol: :lol:

I noticed the big change in mine right after I upgraded to IE8. As to the slow downloads and that I have the same thing. If I reboot and don't open up the usual programs I have running then it is OK. I think it is just hogging all the resources and not letting go of them when finished. I think it is keeping them in case you want to go back 100 pages without having to reload. If you look at all of the files that it puts in the Temp files it is amazing.  :doh: :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »
Don,

Back to using computer #2. #1 didn't want to connect this morning. May still be sleeping, the computer that is.

Anyway I've ordered a 250BG disk drive. Should be here by weeks end or early next week. Going to load Windows XP and IE7 on it and nothing else. I'm curious to see if it's all the junk it loads or if I have a mother board problem. The drive won't go unused. I was looking at the new boards. Quite cheap. Thinking of building a whole new computer.

I'll post here after I've done the experiment, if I can still get on that is.

Bernd

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »
ill second   thrird and fourth the firefox dump billy bob and get the real deal and best of all free. now free is a very good and when it works that good then what else is there.

browser war what war firefox wins hands down. u dont beleive then try them all for ur self then come back and post the best you have tried and give us an HONEST try :mmr:
:mmr:    :mmr: