The Shop > Tools

sieg c4 compound problem ?

(1/2) > >>

ja2on:
I think I may have a problem with my sieg c4 compound  :scratch:
I have been slowly working my way around the new lathe removing red grease ( dragon fat ? )
and adjusting and oiling things but I cant seem to get my compound right It's not back lash it is play in the dovetails maybe
I can nip things up to loose the wobble but it becomes terribly tight to turn the handle in places
anybody have experience of this ?

bogstandard:
Jason,

Steve is the master on the C4, if he hasn't answered your plea for help by tomorrow, I would wake him up with a PM.

Do nothing more to your gibs until you get a reply, we don't want you to damage your machine for the sake of a few hours wait.

I don't know what type of gibs they have on the C4, so I am reluctant to give advice.

John

rleete:
Seeing as you pretty much have to take it all apart to get the grease/protectant off (I like the dragon fat quip!), check to see it they are straight.  Mine were noticably bent (Homier 10x14 lathe, but still a Seig).  Straightening and lapping improved things considerably.

ja2on:
that sounds like a plan rleete I will give that a go tomorrow

John the gibs are the same as the mini lathe ones as far as i can tell just a bit bigger

looks like eric added my nanna  to the gang :nrocks:

cedge:
Ja2on
I don't have the problem here, but I'd suspect you are on the right track by checking the gib strips. I assume the problem is a side to side motion rather than front to rear?

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version