Author Topic: Another laser drilling guide  (Read 2883 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Another laser drilling guide
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
Following on from dan gelbart's lasercentre finder...

Thisv is a neat laser drill guide:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/a-clever-accessory-ensures-youll-always-know-when-youre-drilling-straight/
Bill

Offline sparky961

Re: Another laser drilling guide
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
Neat, but what's wrong with a simple round bubble level on the back of the drill?  This thing looks like it would really get in the way.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:23:18 AM »
+1 for the round bubble level.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »
I have a petrol operated 'post hole borer' that I carefully set upright then  glued one of the round spirit level to the top. Works a treat to initially get the beast upright, but as soon as you rev the engine to start drilling the vibration shakes the single bubble into thousands of small ones like a froth. They re-form when you let off the throttle  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
A bubble level is useless for drilling perpendicular holes in any surface which isn't level. The laser gizmo would help whatever the angle of the workpiece. The idea of building the laser(s) into the chuck seems appealing but would it be durable enough?

My DeWalt cordless drill has a built-in LED which comes on when you press the trigger to illuminate your work. Unfortunately, unless you have a very long drill in the chuck, the chuck casts a shadow exactly where you don't want it. A good idea but poorly implemented.:(

Phil.
Phil Fern