Author Topic: Tinker tool and cutter grinder  (Read 10624 times)

Offline chipenter

Tinker tool and cutter grinder
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
I scored a Tinker tool and cutter grinder yesterday for a score (£20) , a bit rusty and morse taper 2 that I will copy
to a 3 , does anyone hear have the instructions for setting and using one of these ?
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Tinker tool and cutter grinder
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »

As far as I know there WAS a set with the original Imperial machine. Mine were lost. I seem to have a metric set of drawings and indecipherable  construction notes! However, there seems to be another set from Guy Lautard in Canada which includes the Mini Tinker. Thiis is mentioned in John Moran; Gadget Builder.com site and there is a set of construction( modification really) from Bob Darin.

I suspect that there is something as well when the Quorn was first made- which would be about 1973. It would be in Model Engineer then.

I'm sorry that it is bitty- and if you have a copy of something, I'd be glad if you will let me have a copy.

What I can tell you  is even more confusing because the late Norman Tinker gave a set of graduations for angles related to height of setting. I suspect that these( or something similar) appear in Chaddock's book of the Quorn.
I haven't the book but the photocopies from ME when I made my Quorn. Again, there is a set of formulae in Advanced Machine Tool book by Smith.

I've been playing around building a Tinker out of hollow steel sections from the local tip and re-learning Mig welding.

Clear as mud?

Norman

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
Thanks Normon I looked at Bobs build and shows a setting guage that I am missing , probably missing outher parts as well , I will take some photos tomorow .
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
UGH!!! My sheet for this- i.e. is for straight and helical teeth and is sealed and will need a magician or optician to decipher.

Be that as it may, it follows a classical formula which the vertical arm on the Stent( it's really a vertical slide)has.
That is- (memory returning) is in Clarkson book as well as well as Chaddocks.

I'll do what I can to produce rough sketches from the sh*tty drawings to help.

You will have my PM

Cheers

N

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
Read parts of Chadocks book last night , I think I know how to set this up now , but me being me I have to mod it the indexing is minute and hard to see and I use MT3 collets ,
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

Basically, I think that you have got the rudiments of a very nice machine. My drawings( such as they are) include holders for cutters. Of course, you have a set of collets instead.  Whether you want to do lathe tools, I can see no item but it is not a problem to make a square holder. In my drawings, there are two sizes of holder  for taper and parallel holes/holders. Again, no great problem as these sort of follow what I have.

All that I would add- but merely for the sake of completeness, you will require a lot of dummy practice.

Altogether? NICE

Regards

Norman 

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
The top photo shows the lathe tool jig just a bit of angle with a bolt , the club has a box of scrap milling cutters weighing 3 or 4 kilos just enugh to pratice on , it's the setting jig I want details of .
Jeff

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »
You have any pictures of it ?
John Stevenson

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »
The set up for a milling cutter is in Guy Lautard's first page in his ad for the Tinker. I've never seen that there were any drawings

Bad picture but it looks like one of the fingers of the Clarkson tools.

N.B. Mine on the Clarkson is hinged and springs but  I don't use it.

Regards

Norman

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Norman do you meen the rod with a ball end ? Bobs site shows something different I think.
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Jeff, no If you look at the Guy Lautard site for the Tinker, you will see the an end mill pointing down on the wheel to get the primary grind. Presumably(?) it is rotated 180 degrees and then turned again to do the first secondary clearance and obviously the last to complete the operation.

I may be wrong but, I do something similar with a the Clarkson with a BSO dividing head and holding a end mill in a collet. I have a simple block of metal under lip of the first lip- and then tilt to do both lands and then rotate the 180 degrees for a  2lip milling cutter( or 4 etc)

Actually I was checking with my Kennet and  it follows a similar technique- although there are no degrees marked simply graduation lines

Does this help?

Norman.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
The angle for grinding the end faces I can work out , it's the angle for the flutes some form of height guage is needed , Proff Chaddock provides a table of angles to height for a six inch wheel .
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
The formula  for 1 degree clearance (.0088") x clearance angle x diameter of the grinding wheel( in inches)

It's very old maths but that is probably where the books of information started.

Generally, you have to 'number crunch' but there we are.

Norman

Offline chipenter

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »
Thanks Norman one it's set up I will mark it .
Jeff

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 03:16:41 AM »
Good, I look forward to the future instalments.

My next instalment was from a very old contact and I replied about something called a Goniostat for tool angles.Holzapffel stuff.

Cheers

Norman

Offline chipenter

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
I had an old spindle that was bent in a lathe , trued the taper mounted between centres and turned down to my largest reamer size , a piece of 1 12" square bored and reamed , driled and taped cleaned up and I have a mt3 shaft and found a use for the old one a ball turning tool no less .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
Finaly sharpened the flutes on a end mill , mounted the jig on an old cross and tool slide and raised the grinder , it needs to be raised another 20mm , then I can use a square to set the angles insted of tangently witch is a bit of a fiddle .
Jeff