The Shop > Our Shop

KVOM's workshop in process

(1/4) > >>

kvom:
I recently finished the construction of my attached garage/shop.  The planning started just a year ago, and construction started in July.  The final inspection was in February.  While the main construction tasks were contracted, I worked on the wiring (with help from an electrician friend) and all of the interior trimwork (hanging doors, moldings, stairway, bathroom tiles and plumbing, upstairs flooring, etc.  My wife did all the painting and staining, and helped with laying the flooring.  The footprint is 25' wide x 36' deep, with 2 10x10 garage doors and 2 side entry doors.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Now that it's finished I'm still working out how to store and organize the contents.  Here's a few pics of how it looks today.

One of my goals is space to work on cars, so no machinery in the front half.  The Jeep is my other hobby, offroading/rock crawling.

Before the Jeep is a Johnson Model J bandsaw that I got free as a throwin with the other machinery.  After a complete rewiring, cleanup, lubrication, new blades, and casters to roll around on, it's ready to cut something.

The mill and lathe, along with the bandsaw, I found in south Georgia:

The workbench along the wall is a bit disorganized still.  But it's 9' long:

And of course we need a spot to store the "after working" refreshments:

Brass_Machine:
Ahhh. I haven't been on HMEM much lately, glad to see you are getting closer. Of course I want to call you all kinds of names... I REALLY want a Monarch! BADLY!

Looking good!

Eric

sbwhart:
Hi

Thats a nice set up, I've used a Monarch a couple of times, years ago mind, there cracking machines.

:thumbup:

Stew

bogstandard:
Nice shop there K, plenty of room (a great gnashing of teeth). Nice quality machines as well.

But you might need the room when the saw starts to chase you around it. Bad move putting it on wheels, they are bad enough when just sitting there if they are not bolted to the floor. Maybe put a couple of locking ones on there.

Bogs

kvom:
The saw caster that can't be seen in the photo has a lock.  I need to reserve room for vehicles in the garage (my truck is 24' long, and there will be a 2-post lift there some day), so there is really no good permanent space for the saw to live.  It weighs ~700 pounds, so it needs casters to be moved about.  I am seriously considering trying to sell it and getting a smaller saw.

The Monarch is a pleasure to use.  It was in pretty good shape when I bought it, just needing a bit of cleanup.  The motor starter wiring had been redone in the past rather "quick and dirty" so that the heater coils were bypassed.  I now have all the pieces needed to wire it correctly when I get the time.  I had to fabricate a missing bed clamp for the taper attachment, and just this week managed to try out cutting a taper (MT2 center-drill holder).

In keeping with my apparent penchant for old machines, I recently acquired a veteran pedestal grinder. 

It's a 10" Dayton Electric 3/4HP.  The switch was shorted out, so I ordered a new one from Grainger that I will pick up tomorrow.  I was given a piece of carbide dressing stick at school, and once I get the grinder working I will true up the badly worn wheels that were on it.  They are 60/70 grit and will do for finish grinding HSS blanks.  I plan to get a new 8" 46 grit wheel for rough grinding, and then my cheap 6" bench grinder will become a polishing station (much to learn about that).

The wheel shrouds have an opening in the back for attaching a dust collecter.  IO believe I can fabricate something that will allow me to attach my shop vacuum so that grinding dust won't blow all over.  Anyone have experience with this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version