Author Topic: Bedding down a new lathe  (Read 2920 times)

Offline John Rudd

Bedding down a new lathe
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
At some point soon (I hope sooner rather than later...) I shall be putting the new machine in its new home....

So, garage floor is concrete......and it is bloody 'ard....
Where the lathe is going, I'm not sure if the floor is level.....

So I'm thinking as I did with my Chester 9 x20......
Bolt lathe to machine stand and assuming floor is resonably level.....place the machine stand on something resilient... Like plywood.....

Over time the wood will compress and take up any imperfection......

Or does someone have a better suggestion......?

I know the purists would insist on levelling the stand and grouting etc....but I don't want the hassle....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Bedding down a new lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »
I figure you only need to get the stand close enough to level, and the lathe itself is leveled with shims under the bed mounting holes. I'm far from an expert, and I just got my lathe sitting on top of a wood cabinet, but if I was taking it serious i'd imagine i'd want to bolt the stand to the concrete floor with sleeve anchors. That'd give some room for shimming it there too.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
Are there no adjustable feet under the lathe cabinet? If not make some - big nuts and studding works well, or find some 'anti-vibration feet'.

Makes levelling very easy.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »
Hi John, getting the lathe perfectly level is not critical, but bolting it to the stand is! If you have a lathe which has a seperate plinth at either end, then the concrete it sits on must be flat and level, or the bed will twist over time. If the lathe is on a cabinet stand, levelling is not critical, but when you bolt the lathe to the cabinet, you can twist the bed. I would assemble the lathe loose onto the cabinet, then do some measuring with a test bar, or checking for taper turning by your favourite method, taking a cut off two collars say 6" to 9" apart is mine, then gently bolt the bed down to the stand and check again. To level the stand, just do as Andrew suggests, but you may have to adjust it away from level to get good coolant drainage if you are using coolant. I have two lathes, a Cochester Student on a cabinet stand, and a 13" Covmac, which has a supporting plinth under the headstock, and two cast  legs with feet (actually all one casting) at the tailstock end. If this went on a floor that was not level, even if not bolted down, you would expect the bed to twist over time, unless you put shims under it to even out the support. If your new lathe has a sturdy cabinet, I would not bother fixing it down at all, just use levelling feet, or shim it till it is firm..
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
Guy,
Thanks for the advice....Some good stuff there...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors