Author Topic: Sharpening System  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Arbalist

Sharpening System
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:12:48 AM »

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Sharpening System
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
Not really, but it sort of looks like the "table" I created for my grinder.  Mine is a piece of 1/2 inch HRS plate that is mounted on pivots to provide any angle from +45° to -25° for the tool being presented to the wheels.  There are also cut-outs to clear the wheels such that I can use the sides of the (properly selected) wheels on my grinder.

The away from the grinding wheels edge of the "table" has a (ø1/2 inch) linear guide rod mounted (parallel to the grinder's wheel axle) to which "OPN" type linear guide bushings can be mounted.  I have several sets of mounts that allow me to position and clamp whatever I am grinding such that the part moves accurately across the face of the wheel.  I have the intention of adding a 4-bar guide system to add the ability to grind radii or elliptical arcs, but have yet to need it enough to get me actually moving in that direction.

I do have some pictures of this (unadorned) set-up, but no idea how to post them.  The grinder itself is mounted on a piece of 22 in X 20 in X 1/2 in HRS plate.  The pivot table mounts to that.  The whole thing is mounted on a piece of 4 inch iron pipe that, in turn, is mounted to a wooden box such that, when I tip it forward I can wheel it around the shop.  [The casters do not touch the ground until the whole thing is tipped towards me about 10°.]  The table itself pivots on a pair of shoulder screws that also clamp it in position.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Looks very much like Harold Halls grinding rest , I made one and sharpen end mills and slot drills now .
Jeff

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
I read on another website that the plans are around £20.....

I tried accessing the site but can't get the relevant page to load so can't confirm the price.....

Looking at what they are offering, I agree it looks like HH's design....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors