Author Topic: Bought meself a new lathe  (Read 2823 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Bought meself a new lathe
« on: May 14, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »

Went out and bought meself a new lathe. A Colchester Bantam 1600 MKII

Well new to me and was new in 1980 but has been in storage ever since, a bit tatty and needs a real good clean up as it's had stuff piled on top of it for the last 35 years.

At the moment it's hard to see full condition but to having to literally climb over mountains of gear to get to it.

Looks like this one off Tony's page but has the stand with the central drawer in it.

Got gears, chucks and faceplate but couldn't see any steadies.

Need to pop back in two weeks to collect it as they need to get a large 10 tonne or so fork truck in to move some power presses that are in the way.

Bought it for me new girlfriend as it's an imperial machine and she spent all of her working life in the States and don't do metric and my lathes confuse the hell out of her.
John Stevenson

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Bought meself a new lathe
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
I had a older Bantam
Great machine
Yours must be the twin speed one
John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Bought meself a new lathe
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
Sounds like it from Tony's site, problem is this place is just a mountain of gear, most of it old production lines that can been cut up and stored to be robbed for spares.
If it is the 2 speed model it requires genuine 3 phase which isn't a problem
Result is it buried with only a few bits visible.

Guy pointed at one pile in a corner about 30 foot into the heap and said there is a Myford Super 7 under that lot. I went to look and can't see anything of it at all. I asked him when it would be visible and he just shrugged. Think this is a project for 2020 ?
John Stevenson