Author Topic: Swarf vacuum extractor with 3d printed parts  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Andrew Wildman

Swarf vacuum extractor with 3d printed parts
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
I purchased a cheepo vacuum cleaner for cleaning machines and it lasted about 4 minutes before it became clogged and gave up so I put together a better solution.

I found a numatic 2KW vacuum cleaner on ebay and managed to pick it up for £20 (when I checked these are a £400 machine).  It produces a good suck but it is not really designed for oily swarf so I built a cyclone to put in the line prior to the vacuum cleaner.

This terrible picture shows the vacuum clear with the cyclone in line

The red bits were 3d printed to fit 38mm numatic fittings

This shows what the cyclone caught after a quick whizz around the shed as well as the construction (inc Ronseal tub - does more than it says on the tin!)

This is what made it into the Vacuum cleaner

Seems to do a good job.  The only modification I need to make is to strengthen the white tub with a reinforcing ring as when the nozzle blocks then the tub implodes due to the power of the cleaner! 

This setup in conjunction with one of those magnetic wands should keep the swarf at bay.

Offline bertie_bassett

Re: Swarf vacuum extractor with 3d printed parts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
Looks a nice simple solution  :thumbup:

Need to sort something like that out myself
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
I like that!  :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 02:40:18 AM »
A vacuum relief valve would be an alternate way to prevent tub implosion - though getting the operating pressure correct for the valve could be tricky.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:09:09 AM »
Good job Andrew, Cyclonic separators are a really good addition to the vac line. I knocked a very rough one up a few years back and in my tiny shop find that 99% of stuff is caught in it. I empty the actual vac bag perhaps twice a year (usually after I finally vac the car cos the cyclone stays in the shed). I guess you could find a metal 20 litre paint drum or similar and avoid implosion OR as was suggested by David J a vacuum relief valve, which by the way you could fashion in the lid of the cyclone. It would simply be a bung on the inside with support and spring on the outside - fiddle with the spring tension to adjust. Sort of a reverse safety valve as used on old boilers.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
I like it!! The ronseal can, is it a filter, or what? Also, how did you get it to stick to the lid, glue?

:bugeye:

Kjelle

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
thanks for the comments and ideas.

The Ronseal can encourages the flow around the outside of the bucket so that the heavy swarf drops into the bottom.  I also added the lid of the can later (with holes cut in) to act as a crude diffuser so that the flow up into the vacuum is distributed across a wider area to prevent it picking bits of swarf up.  The lid is bolted on using the 6 m4s that hold on the red nozzle on the top of the lid.

A typically crummy picture shows the grey diffusing lin

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Thank you! I need to make something like that sooner rather than later...

Kjelle