Gallery, Projects and General > Mod-Ups!

Case Hardening Experiments Mod-Up

<< < (18/19) > >>

S. Heslop:
Ah why didn't I think of that, using the bench grinder. I couldn't think beyond the angle grinder and cutoff disks.

I'm still a little concerned about cyanide poisoning through. When heating the parts with the stuff stuck on it seemed to be boiling off. But looking a bit more into it, it decomposes before it boils. An MSDS sheet I found states that decomposition products include hydrogen cyanide, where as another website suggests that it partly decomposes into potassium cyanide that would most likely end up in the quench water.

I think this working is exciting enough to make a short video about, but it'd be fairly irresponsible until i'm sure it's (relatively) safe. So i'm gonna try some tests for cyanide.

vtsteam:
I saved a bag full of sour cherry pits from our Montmorency tree a couple weeks ago, wondering how they would work, ground to a powder in a SS foil pack. They could conceivably produce both carbon and CN.

PekkaNF:
stumble upon on this one

Will_D:
The correct salt to use is Potassium FERRI cyanide according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_ferricyanide

"The compound is also used to harden iron and steel, in electroplating, dyeing wool, as a laboratory reagent, and as a mild oxidizing agent in organic chemistry."

This is the red salt, the yellow compound is the Ferro version

This may expalin the above posts!

Can anyone confirm this?

fatal-exception:
Hey guys, I know this is about home brew case hardening experiments, but on the last McMaster Carr order I put in, I got a 1lb jar of Cherry Red. I have to say, it works like a charm (doesn't smell so good..:D) . I've done a bunch of mild steel parts and also some parts from 12L14. Nice thing is, there's no catastrophic cracking from quenching.  :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version