Gallery, Projects and General > Mod-Ups!

Case Hardening Experiments Mod-Up

<< < (17/19) > >>

gerritv:
I recently obtained some nitric acid so that I can see the depth of the case. Will add my experiments in a month. I will be trying Kasenite and sugar to be specific.

Gerrit

Fergus OMore:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on July 14, 2017, 09:10:16 AM ---

Norman, you are a fount of temperance nuggets!   :beer:

--- End quote ---

I nearly signed off with 'Call me Ishmael'  or even Cato!

Again ignoring the literary bent , I'm surprised at the seeming lack of knowledge about sugar. Sugar was an  out and out luxury and would hardly be used for casehardening. Honey, yes, possibly but I doubt it. I t does make great booze, however :beer:

S. Heslop:
Arf. I missed this thread. Or maybe I forgot about reading it. Just posted it in another thread but i've got some potassium ferrocyanide on the way so i'll tell you how it goes. I like the suggestion of borax to help it stick, but judging from the melting temperature it might stick fine on its own.

S. Heslop:
I'm pretty psyched, it works!

Regular potassium ferrocyanide didn't seem to do a whole lot but I suspect I might not have gotten it hot enough. But mixing it about half and half with charcoal hardened a small bit of mild steel enough to damage one side of my triangular file.

I'd like to test the case depth but I can't figure out how i'd cut the hardened steel without heating it.

awemawson:
Gently (so not to over heat) grind the end to give  flat perpendicular to the axis,  then acid etch to see the depth of case

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version