Author Topic: Not how, but what?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline TD4

Not how, but what?
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:15 AM »
For a number of years, I have enjoyed the wit and wisdom of the fellow members on this forum. About two years ago I moved to Spain and now operate with Solar + a 15 kva. diesel generator, but I need something more mobile. I use a160 Amp stick inverter, a 150 Mig. A cut 40, and a TIG. What size genny would you thing would give me sufficient power to run any of these. In do have a 2.3 genny, but feel this not strong enough. ( If the Mods think this is in the wrong place, I apologize)    Malcolm.

Offline mattinker

Re: Not how, but what?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »
Malcolm,

I have had problems running an 160amp inverter welder on a generator, the voltage variations were the problem I blew something, that was quit an easy fix. This was five or six years ago and I don't remember the specifications of the generator or what I blew!. I would suggest contacting the manufacturers to see what they have to say, you can't be the only one who wants to do this!

Regards, Matthew

Offline paulmo101

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
Hi

I have recently purchased a R-tech 161 ac/dc tig machine and in the manual it recommends at least a 5.5kva genny with AVR ( auto voltage regulation?) as a minimum.  If not fitted with AVR and the tigger is damaged - not covered by my warranty.

Cheers
Paul

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
You may get away with an uninterupted power supply between the genny and the wealders , or a nest of cappasitors , to give the genny a chanse to catch up .
Jeff

Offline TD4

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:18:09 AM »
Many thanks Gents, for your reply. When I bought the inverter 6/7 yrs. ago the chap said never run it with your genny. which was 2.2kva. Since coming here, I have sued it many times from the 15 kva. That's why I wondered about size. So I will look out for a 6 to 7 kva. Problem solved.  thank you all again  Malcolm.