Author Topic: Grinding HSS to use in Jones and Shipman Holders  (Read 3386 times)

Offline appletree

Grinding HSS to use in Jones and Shipman Holders
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
Hi I have a number of J&S and Armstrong tool holders which take 1/4 square HSS bits. Does anyone know of any data on optimum grinding of HSS to use in these holders? I use indexible tooling or 1/2 inch square most of the time but I do like the adaptabi;city of HSS. Phil

RobWilson

Re: Grinding HSS to use in Jones and Shipman Holders
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »
Hi Phil

The tool profile all depends on what material your turning and whether its a finishing or roughing tool   :dremel:   so giz a clue  :)

Rob

Also is there any relief angle already built into the tool holder ?

Offline appletree

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Hi Rob,I knew that would come back to bite me, I thought when i posted and I fully appreciate the question and the reason for it. Mostly I machine aluminium and fairly free machining stainless, what I was asking is if there were any J&S data sheets which take in the inbuilt angles in the holders. Phil

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
 :Doh: WHAT A CLOWN ! ,,,,,,,,,, I forgot to upload the photo/attachment  Phil

Just stick a tool bit in and you will see if there is any built in relief angle .

Rob 

Offline appletree

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »
Thanks for that Rob will have a look at the inbuilt angles, I have one of those digital angle gauges, will do some measuring. Phil

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
Phil

The angles do not have yo be that close within 1 deg is fine you will find that you need to tune them for your machine and stock , do not forget to stone a small rad on the tip you do not want a sharp point , think of twice the feed rate so that it overlaps for a smooth finish.

It's not an exact science play with it and see what works for you keep the SFM down to about a third of the carbide speed , above all listen and watch the chips that wil guide you.

One last point your surface finish is only as good as the finish on the tool so use a slip stone to refine the cutting edge no need to do the whole face just a little way down will do

Have fun

Stuart