The Shop > Finishing

Stopping the dreaded rust!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Arbalist:
I put Renwax or Lanolin on stuff like that and keep them in Clip Lock containers with rust inhibiting paper. Clip Locks are available in a large range of sizes and I use them for anything that could go rusty in the shop. The "Bacon" boxes take a full set of ER32 collets for example!

appletree:
I use hot dip coating on things that are critical, reamers, Morse taper drill shanks milling  cutters etc etc. It serves to prevent rusting and also damage to cutting edges and fingers. A bought a couple of bars several years ago from Cromwell tools https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN7080500K  it is easy to melt, I use a 2 ring electric hob outside. I just strip off the coating and use the tool then when I have 2 or 3 items I re-coat them.  More recently my son gets it from work when it is removed from new components when the are fitted.   

awemawson:
The Crocell type coatings are easily melted in a deep fat fryer - (get one with the element bonded to the outside of the pan for ease of cleaning). I used one for ages before a genuine Crocell pot came my way. Deep fat fryers are cheap as chips (!) from Argos and the like.

howsitwork?:
Andrw

only just found this reply- brilliant :Doh:

Thanks Ian

Arbalist:
I keep a lot of my tooling in clip lock food containers with a piece of rust preventative paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version