The Shop > Finishing

Stopping the dreaded rust!

<< < (2/4) > >>

madman:
 :ddb:Good Day Ive had all my Equipment  Taps Tools Mill Lathe outside in a colder than Id Like garage for over 24 Years. Not much Rust Troubles and i live in a very Moisture Type area. (Waterloo ontario Canada)  If you keep the shop or encloasure even one degree warmer than outside you wont get Rust. Either a bed sheetcovering Lathe ,Mill,??!!  with a 20 watt Bulb underneath covering youre Machinery or a Shop heater set very low thermostat controlled? (I do have a 220 volt electric heater but with hydro costs,,,) I also use rust spray   for spraying youre car undercarriage . Its cheap, and easy to remove unlike some of the dedicated Tool Die Preservatives which require Varsol or thinners to remove. Hope this may Help out. Taps are Garbage when rusty so a oil spray wont hurt, Thanx Mike

raynerd:
Thanks for the advice guys. I did purchased some rust inhibitor paper but I also like the idea of zip lock bags! I do try and keep my machines warm but tools in draws it just isn't possible.

Pete49:
The easy option is to move to central Australia or Arizona. No need for rust prevention then :lol:
Pete

SwarfnStuff:
I'm in the southern bit of Australia not the middle and here is what I have done to fight the rust bug. Drawers, n boxes in which my tools, nails, screws, etc. live when not in my hand or about to be, are lined at the bottom with heavy paper or light card. (Think cornflake box.) A few squirts of regular oil to the underside of the paper / card and Bob's yer uncle. Has worked so far for me anyway.

Sid_Vicious:

--- Quote from: Pete49 on April 22, 2015, 11:36:41 PM ---The easy option is to move to central Australia or Arizona. No need for rust prevention then :lol:
Pete

--- End quote ---
There you will need Dust prevention :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version