Author Topic: milling spindle upgrade  (Read 27268 times)

Offline bertie_bassett

milling spindle upgrade
« on: March 27, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
drove home from work today thinking the van felt a little sluggish, opened the back up when I got parked and found this!!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:12:01 PM by bertie_bassett »
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline Sid_Vicious

Re: milling spindle upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:11 PM »
That looks like a nice find, where are you parking when you find this kind of stuff in the car on the way home?
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
 I do believe  a Chester 626 mill  :dremel:  what happened to the foot casting ? 

Rob 

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
Must be Robin Hood of the Mills did that. Try to find the owner -- there may be a few bob for you Bertie, in a reward! :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
oh im trying very hard to find its owner ;) 

must catch that robin hood chap, seem to have dipped into my wallet whilst on his rounds!!

rob :- it is indeed a chester 626, unfortunately I believe it tried to roll off of the forklift and broke its foot casting and bent its knee screw. :(
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
oh im trying very hard to find its owner ;) 

must catch that robin hood chap, seem to have dipped into my wallet whilst on his rounds!!

rob :- it is indeed a chester 626, unfortunately I believe it tried to roll off of the forklift and broke its foot casting and bent its knee screw. :(

Typical Robin of the Mills -- not good with a forklift. I hope that happened prior to your wallet shrink, and not after?! Hope you didn't have a Mawson Moment!  :poke:
Steve

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
damage was done a while back I think. been laying in a barn for a little bit I think.

was surprised how easy it was to dismantle. and fit in the van

tomorrows job will be getting it out on my own and down the garden into the workshop!

RobWilson

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »

That will do it every time Burtie  :Doh:  , what your plan for fixing the bent Z axis  screw ?    , I think I still have a one lying about some were  :scratch: yours if you want it  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
plan to fix the bent screw??  bend it back ;)

thanks for the offer rob, I may well take you up on that. though I am also thinking of adding a riser block, so may need a longer one.

as for the casting, im just going to use a bit of flat plate instead, iv got some 9mm thick stuff which might do the job. and could buy some box sction to add strength and raise it back up if needed

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
Well after a couple of hours on my own in the rain iv managed to get it all into the workshop and onto the bench.

Now to start cleaning, then work out what to do about the base
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:11:27 PM by bertie_bassett »

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »
Bertie,
Resize your pictures please you are taking up 4 1/2 post codes.
John Stevenson

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
No pictures showing, Did You close the van door?
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
sorry took them off to resize them, and now cant get them back up !

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »
hopefully these pics will be a better size, think I've done it right

managed to spend a few hours cleaning today, used up most of a can of ipa! 

also managed to straighten up the screw by holding it in my vice and having a short tube on the other end. didn't take much effort. though worryingly the workshop wall seemed to be moving :S

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
I think you got rid of the barrel distortion when you photoshopped that second pic of the leadscrew -- excellent!
Steve

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »
I think you got rid of the barrel distortion when you photoshopped that second pic of the leadscrew -- excellent!

amazing what can be done with a computer isn't it!

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
now that its mostly clean iv started loking at reassembly :)

not quite sure what to do about the broken base though, its too damaged to be repaired and original plan was to just use a 1/2'' flat plate instead,

problem is the only plate iv got is about 9mm thick which should do the job, but.. I did find this at work earlier..

moves things up to the right height, it would be the right length ( once the end was cut off) but doesn't really fit width wise, plus the mill column  is only resting on 2 edges. I possibly could find some more metal to weld to it but not sure its worth the effort

so what ideas do you guys have?

flat plate puts the top of the column at 4ft high, im concerned it may be too low ( though im not that tall so maby not?)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
now that its mostly clean iv started loking at reassembly :)
BB: Is that a RO (Reverse Osmosis) setup in the backgroung?
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
It is one of my RO units yes, not actually ever used that one since I was given it. Nit got round to getting filters for it

RobWilson

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
Nice job getting the spindle straight  :thumbup:

Thats a canny crack in the base  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

Thats a canny crack in the base  :lol: :lol:

Rob

think its repairable??  iv got some jb weld :lol:

been thinking things over and have decided to go with the flat plate for now, as its simpler and I reckon it will be strong enough. the loss of height isn't really an issue ( I think) and will certainly make changing belts easier!

plus if I do eventually go with a 4'' riser block, the head will end up back at its original height

Offline philf

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

think its repairable??  I've got some jb weld.

Funny you should say that! Have you got all the bits and are they big pieces?

The base on my Aciera mill must have been dropped and badly broken before I acquired it. It's held together with something like JB Weld and steel brackets and plates on the inside - you wouldn't know from the outside. I must have had it for for nearly 30 years and it's still going strong.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
If yo got all the pieces for the base, stick it back together and use it as either a plug to cast a new one out of ali with thicker walls? or use it to cast a  a thick walled plug you can then bond inside the iron base with some epoxy resin. Keeps it original looking and very strong?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Along the lines of what these guys are suggesting, stick it together with JB Weld, screw some straps under across the cracks with countersunk screws from the top, leave them long, then invert and fill with concrete. The screws will help bond the concrete in, though it would probably be sufficient without. It'll be heavy but, that's a plus other than for moving it. A cross of 1/2" rebar, corner to corner set in the concrete wouldn't hurt either. Fill any bad spots from above, sand and paint.
Steve

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 06:10:52 AM »
Hmm I hadn't thought about filling it with concrete.  Not a bad idea.

Its in three big sections, though I'm missing a bit.. Will pop back to where I got it and see if its still there.

I did also consider sticking it together ontop of the plate and then building a support under the main column

More things to think about.