Author Topic: A new toy...  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Garyrmck

A new toy...
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:31:37 AM »
So,

I went out today to buy a micro mill...but came home with an Optimum BF20LV and spent the 1.5 hour drive home trying to figure out how I was going to explain the new toy.....

Ever tried to get a 132kg mill out of the back of a car with only 2 people? It wasn't easy, but we did it, pity we couldn't get up on the bench, so it's sitting on the floor of the shed.

The there was the vice, er32 collet chuck and collets, parallels, slot drills and end mills and clamp set.......

Need to find someone with an engine hoist I can borrow..

cheers
Gary

Offline mexican jon

Re: A new toy...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 01:46:22 AM »
 :worthless:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Gary, I don't think your thread is worthless without pics.

I'm always interested to here others account of their experiences and views on these home workshop mills etc.

I may very well end up purchasing one of the various brands of this type of machine myself in the future,so I am interested in hearing your opinion on the Optimum machines variant......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
Gary,

What about taking the mill down and putting on the bench piece meal? You should clean and prep it for use anyway.

Congrats on the new purchase! Remember, fix something for SWMBO first and prove it's worth

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Garyrmck

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi,

a friend is coming over with a block and tackle this morning to help get it on to the bench.

Looking at the machine, it appears way better finished than the Sieg mills and in Australia substantially cheaper than the X3 mill, making it's purchase a no brainer. I was looking at the Sieg SX1P, then the SX2P. Then noticed that one of the major local suppliers had dropped the Seig range and brought in the Optimum range. Not only that but they were having a 3 day 15% off sale. Decided to have a serious look at the Optimum BF16. Unfortunately right next to the BF16 was a BF20LV. The price difference in the sale was not huge considering how much bigger the mill is, and  I spontaneously whipped out the plastic.

The BF20LV here has a 3MT taper rather than the 2MT elsewhere which I thought was a plus. The machine came with a set of measurements that if accurate make it appear a very nice machine.

I will post some pics and impressions once it's on the bench and it has  been cleaned. At this point I'm very happy. I bought enough accessories to get me started, so now my equipment is pretty complete. I have a Seig SC4 lathe, 6x4 bandsaw, the new mill, a pedestal drill and accessories. The whole purpose of this is to get ready for retirement in a year or two... so I'm buying up whilst the cash is still coming in!!!!

cheers
Gary

RobWilson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »

Ever tried to get a 132kg mill out of the back of a car with only 2 people?

Easy , its a one man move , just need to eat a few weetabix for breakfast  :lol:  , hope you enjoy your new mill  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:13:12 PM »
Its much easier and less painfull to strip down a mill at ground level.

Strip down to the 4 or so major chunks, then you can lift a chunk onto bench, strip and clean the bits, lube and re-assemble.

Then you can assemble in-situ and do all the accuracy/setup/alignment checks that must be done.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 01:15:20 AM »
Good buy Garry, I can see why you went with Optimum specially as H&F's price for the X3 marked as 'limited stock' (AKA run-out) is more expensive to boot. I see also that it has DRO on the Z axis and what I guess is speed read out on the motor controller. Another reason for the choice.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Garyrmck

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:46:49 AM »
Well, the mill is on the bench, has been tested and works beautifully. Very happy camper. After tidying up the shed will post some pics.
Gary

Offline Garyrmck

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:08:48 AM »
OK first problem found. The z axis is extremely stiff in the top 50mm of movement - essentially unusable. Perhaps not a huge issue, but others have found that by dismantling the axis and lapping it they can make the whole z axis extremely smooth, so this looks like the first job. Will wait until next weekend to do it. Any suggestions of what product to do this with?

video of how it is done here:

BTW, have checked the full travel and it is smooth except for the to 50mm....

Any other ideas?

cheers
Gary
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:18:10 AM by dsquire »

lordedmond

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »
Gary

First comment do not use normal lapping compound like you get for doing valves its to hard and will impregnate the CI ways , think how diamonds are lapped you press diamond dust into a CI lap and use that

Do it correctly blue it and scape it to a fit or take easier route and use time saver compound ,this stuff breaks down to a non abrasive compound and is use to lap in gears in large gear boxes there is no need to clean it up after use

This link will show you the stuff yes it's dear and its a UK link but I am sure you will find it in your location on the big ball

http://www.steamsupplies.co.uk/category/engineering-supplies/

It may only be a badly adjusted gib ease it off a wee bit and see how you go

Stuart