Author Topic: How do I take up the slack in assembly  (Read 6985 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
How do I take up the slack in assembly
« on: March 13, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »
I have made great progress on my Monster Stepper project (which is part of my CNC router table) but I have a large worm to mount on a shaft.  The bore should be 5/8th but it is somewhat worn and is a loose fit on the shaft,  normally I would knurl the shaft  a little and use Locktite the theory being the knurling would help to maintain centrality but this is a stainless steel shaft which I assume would quickly work harden and destroy my knurls.

Any ideas?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Rudd

Re: How do I take up the slack in assembly
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »
Could you build up the stainless to diameter with silver solder?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
can you bore out the worm at all or is it to hard?

if it can be bored out, then just sleeve the shaft to suit.

otherwise, would an epoxy metal be any good to redo the bore with?
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline tekfab

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
Not all stainless steel work hardens and look at it this way what does a set of knurls cost against the time in finishing the job and how many attempts at finding a suitable alternative ? and as i said not all types of stainless work harden so . . . . . . . . :Doh:

Mike

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:35:03 PM »
Don't suppose you have access to a TIG welder, eh?  Or even MIG with stainless wire (but you wouldn't have near the control that TIG affords).  Alternatively it may be possible to turn down a section of the rod and make a press fit sleeve or two-part sleeve if you don't have access from an end.

One more suggestion if you're just trying to get a tighter fit without a big production, use a hammer and punch with a shape of your choosing to displace metal and make for a tighter fit.  Depending how much slop we're talking here, you could even turn it concentric after beating the hell out of it for a bit.  Maybe centre drill it first...

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:09:21 AM »
Um, how would the bore of this worm gear wear exactly? I've seen a very small number of applications where a worm has rotated on a shaft (as opposed to rotated with a shaft) but they all were configured with the worm made as one part with a pinion. (This is another thread where pictures would help).

Are you trying to fit a worm with a metric bore onto an imperial shaft of a close size? (or vice versa)

You could spend a long time on this and end up with a ruined part or concentricity issues. A worn bore would suggest the worm thread could be worn, so more backlash that you would like.

For all the time and trouble I'd be tempted to carefully measure up and get a new worm.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 05:00:57 AM »
Dont fret, the worm came on a shaft with a matching gear wheel in one assembly along with a clutch to disengage the work from its shaft,  it also came caked with lanolin and wool fibres and is quite likely a relic of the long gone textile industry in this town.  For all I know the worm spent all its working life with the shaft turning, the worm and wheel stationery and the clutch being engaged infrequently.

No, I will not be buying a new worm, if I went down that route I might as well buy the entire CNC router table and spend the time I saved polishing my workshop equipment instead of using it! :beer:

Offline petertheterrible

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
1 How about shimming it?

(If it's not a customers project.)

2 Or a double cats claw.

(Six tapped holes and grub screws)

3 Or a male to female stress relief.

(Male one side, female the other to take the parts with spiral cut to protect the steppers when overburdened.)
Terrible by name, worse by profession.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
Thanks Peter, some good ideas there, this is my home shop project to build a router table.

I am going to chuck the worm today and see if any of my lathe tools can work the metal,  files just bounce off.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »
If they can't bore it, and it's heat treated steel, John, you can probably anneal it, bore, then re-heat, plunge, and temper to whatever color you prefer.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
I got smart and went and borrowed a better knurling tool   :med:  The worm is now a press fit on the shaft and I hope as true as any other method I might have tried.

Thanks for all the suggestion.  Incidently, even though the worm felt loose on the shaft it took only a very shallow knurl to snug it up.