Author Topic: Smoke / Smell absorber for laser Cutting & Etching  (Read 7319 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Smoke / Smell absorber for laser Cutting & Etching
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
I'm giving serious consideration to acquiring a 50 watt laser engraver / etcher / cutter. It a biggish beast (about 3'6" x 2' x 2') so I don't have many choices of location, and the favoured place is quite a distance from an outside wall.

One concern is fumes - can be nasty cutting (for instance) acrylic - by design there is a simple extract fan intended to vent out side by a 6" flexible duct - but outside is a long way from the preferred location. I've seen mention of 'smoke absorbers' being used with these animals, but no real hands on useful details.

Anyone know about these things and can enlighten me ?  :scratch:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

Re: Smoke / Smell absorber for laser Cutting & Etching
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Hi Andrew, how about activated charcoal filtering as in a cooker hood, you would need a fan to draw the smoke through the charcoal, only thing that springs to mind at the moment,
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »
Having worked in an industrial steel laser cutting shop for over 5 years, I can attest to the nasty stuff these things create.  Now, we're talking a different order of magnitude as far as power goes (5000W vs. your 50W) but the concepts are the same.  When cutting steel, the majority of the by-product is extremely fine iron oxide dust.  The best way this was handled was through a huge multi-filter "bag house" dust collector and down-draft cutting tables.

I suspect though that your case will be a bit different since you won't be cutting thick steel with 50W.  Smoke from oils, plastics and glues will be your biggest problem.  The dust collector probably didn't capture these things but the downdraft tables got it away from your lungs most of the time.  Although routing your exhaust outside may be a real pain, I suggest that it will be money and time very well spent.  Just like when you buy a mill or lathe, the cost of the machine is only a portion of the total cost.  There's tooling, upkeep, repair, etc.  Have you researched what consumables these use and the cost?

Think of everything as a package - your laser and accessories to ensure your health and those that live with you.

Oh, and on a related note: I have no experience with the small lasers, but the industrial machines I've worked with sure are finicky beasts.  I suspect the same will be true or worse for the small ones.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
I don't imagine activated charcoal in a hood would last very long in absorbing the nasties in a cooker hood. It doesn't in a face mask, and that passes far less air.

Maybe a special purpose unit like the welding fume extrctors would fare better, but if it was me, I'd vent straight up to rooftop, and that would help the fan by draughting as well.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:20:47 AM »
Pretty much everyone here uses some sort of fan to extract the fumes and exhaust them to the outside.

Retired jump house (brincolin) fan seems to used sometimes.

Production equipment is another matter, they seem to have huge filtration structures.

Pekka

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:50:51 AM »
Andrew,
Can you position it anywhere near your heater and vent into the heaters chimney ?
Failing that 6" commercial plastic downpipe and go up and over to the outside with an additional fan on the outer end
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
Nice lateral thinking John  :thumbup: But the heater is 'balanced flue' so not really possible. I'm thinking I'll have to move some stuff about to free up a bit of wall  :scratch: As a temporary solution it'll have to be on a trolley and get wheeled close to the roller shutter, and the pipe poked under it - not keen on moving it about as the laser tube looks horribly delicate
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
Can you use the laundry vent? You will probably have the corect power there 220 over here.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
That puzzles me a bit Tom  :scratch:

OK I do have a large industrial washing machine in my workshop, left over from when I had a chain of launderettes - but a laundry vent  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
Do you have a filter in mined Andrew ?

these should stop the smell     http://greendazehydroponics.co.uk/Rhino-Pro-carbon-filter.html   , the type used for growing weed  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
The vent going from the dryer to the outside.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

How about if you passed the extracted air/fume mixture through a water-spray curtain?  A suds pump might have enough oomph.

My first thought was a hookah-type system, a water-trap between the current exhaust fan and a second fan, but it might be tricky to balance the heads produced by the two fans.

Either of my two sugestions could be positioned close to the laser machine.   
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!