Author Topic: Depth Mic Modding  (Read 6946 times)

Offline sparky961

Depth Mic Modding
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:01:47 AM »
If you're squeamish when it comes to using precision tools as anything more than toolbox ornaments, steer clear of this post.  I'm about to do some pretty sacrilegious things to an unsuspecting depth micrometer.

It started when I received an eBay purchase a few weeks back.  I had acquired a nice NSK depth micrometer with interchangeable rods.  The first problem was my own fault.  I didn't realize that the sizes listed were 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6.  For some reason when I read the description I thought it covered the 0-1 range, which is of course the one most people would use pretty often.

The second problem was a bit worse.  When I received the mic, the 1-2 rod was installed in the body.  It was pretty crunchy when I turned the thimble, but I've brought some pretty abused tools into excellent working condition so I got to work with a disassembly and cleaning.  Although there was a lot of crud and a bit of oxidation it cleaned up really great, --BUT-- here's the kicker: the 1-2 rod was bent about 1.8" from the end, causing about 0.020" TIR when rotating the thimble.  Inaccurate measuring aside, the thing was rubbing inside the barrel pretty bad too.

I ended up getting half my money back from the seller, on my suggestion.  Most of the set was good but it was going to take me some time and effort to make useable.  After a quick search for some cheap surplus rods that would fit, I decided it was not going to be an easy find.  I decided to shorten some of the longer rods to replace the bent 1-2 and the 0-1 that never existed.

Ok, if you got through that - or if you skipped it, here's the fun part!  The pictures!  I didn't snap any of the initial cleanup because it happened in the kitchen while making dinner right after opening the box. ;) Gotta love tools that are mailed to you.

After a couple of tries at setups, I opted for bolting the depth mic to a 1-2-3 block.  The washers didn't work great, but did hold it tight against the block.  This enabled me to accurately check the rod without removing anything from the setup, and gave me a surface to run an indicator over and make sure it was dead flat.

I marked the rod with my favourite tool, a sharpie marker, and went at 'er with a grinder.  I had a cutoff wheel mounted and was holding it in a bench vice.  I left about 0.030 material to remove in the next step.

This is where I got out my light saber ..... no, not really.  The way this picture turned out though I couldn't help but mention it.

Checking how much material to remove...

...and here's how I'm removing it.  I've mounted the 1-2-3 block in my milling vice, on the milling machine.  Attached with hose clamps (don't snicker) to a plate coming off the side of the spindle is a Dremel rotary tool and a small mounted stone.  And I just have to say here, that is a precision wood spacer block above the Dremel guys!

How did I proceed?  I set the anvil at the same height as the 1-2-3 block (actual 1", but not reading correctly yet).  I touched off the grinding wheel very lightly, then lifted it off by 0.025 so that I'd clear the block.  Then there was the painstaking process of running the cranks on my poor man's surface grinder.

End result?  I had actually started on the bent rod, figuring I couldn't F* it up more than it already was.  I got it within about 2 tenths (no vernier scale on the barrel) of the zero reading when I was done.  It's actually pretty easy because I was using the micrometer itself to set the depth of each pass.

Here's the second one that I was working on.  I went about this a different way after realizing that the rods aren't hardened in the middle.  I marked as before and then took it to the band saw.  That got me within 0.020", and then I carefully took more and more off on my bench grinder (checking regularly) until I had only 0.004" left to grind in the precision setup.

I decided to harden the ends of my modified rods as well.  I'm not quite done the whole process yet, but I anticipate complete success, despite my limited equipment.

Offline cwelkie

Re: Depth Mic Modding
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
Good on ya for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear using what you have to hand.

You mentioned hardening the rod tips - good idea but can't help but wonder if the "precision grinding" could be left until after that just to be sure that process doesn't effect the length for some reason.

Cheers
Charlie

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
Good on ya for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear using what you have to hand.

You mentioned hardening the rod tips - good idea but can't help but wonder if the "precision grinding" could be left until after that just to be sure that process doesn't effect the length for some reason.

Cheers
Charlie

It's good you pointed this out. 

I omitted this information because my post was getting a bit long and boring.  I realized after finishing the first one that the rod middles weren't hardened so I hardened that one plus the second one that I cut just shy of the final dimension.  After re-checking the first one, it seems to have grown by 0.001!  I double and triple checked this, even removing and re-inserting the rod a few times.  Same thing every time, so I'll be putting this back on the "surface grinder" and taking a very light pass.

Long story short, yes - harden then grind.

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
After re-checking the first one, it seems to have grown by 0.001!  I double and triple checked this, even removing and re-inserting the rod a few times.  Same thing every time, so I'll be putting this back on the "surface grinder" and taking a very light pass.

Are the heads of the rods solid or are they adjustable? On my M&W depth mike they are adjustable so the odd 0.001" is easily dealt with without machining.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »
After re-checking the first one, it seems to have grown by 0.001!  I double and triple checked this, even removing and re-inserting the rod a few times.  Same thing every time, so I'll be putting this back on the "surface grinder" and taking a very light pass.

Are the heads of the rods solid or are they adjustable? On my M&W depth mike they are adjustable so the odd 0.001" is easily dealt with without machining.

Phil.

You, Sir, are the man of the hour!  I went down to the basement tonight for a short shop session before bed, thinking that I'd snap a few close-up pictures showing how they aren't adjustable.

Well, as it turns out it took me staring at the close-up through the camera lens for it to click that those are wrench flats on the top you dummy! (me)  The many times I had previously looked at it, I just thought the top cap was pressed on because I didn't see any threads.  So, I tried carefully turning it and lo and behold, it turns and there must be threads under it because I was able to adjust the rod by quite a few thousandths either way.

That means that when I'm grinding the next one (and I may replace the bent one yet, since it still does wobble a bit), all I need to do is get within a few thou of the right size.  Preferably on the long side because that will allow for future resurfacing of the anvil if needed.

I could have posed this next shot, but this is as it appears.  It's a right-proper measurement, clean surfaces and holding everything together tight, and using the ratchet on the mic.  Quite pleased, I am.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
Nice job Sparky. Don't worry you ain't the only one to have one of those slap forehead moments when something that should have been obvious actually becomes so.

Looking at your pics of the rods,couldn't you make them from silver steel stock? .....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
Thanks.

I'm not sure offhand what the diameter of the rods is, but definitely with a bit more effort I could make some up from scratch. At this point I have little use for the long ones so its easier to shorten them. In the future I'll replace them with home made ones and extend the range at the same time.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 02:33:09 AM »
H Sparky

I can't see your pics.. they are just black boxes with an X in, is there a link to 'Drop box' ... 'Photobucket' ..  have you moved / removed them from your post or am I missing something, my OS is IE11, Win 8.1. I can see pics from other members on other threads

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline sparky961

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »
I've had this report on a previous post ( don't recall if it was you or someone else) but other members said they had no problems. They are inline IMG links to shared Google Drive files.

Not sure what I could be doing differently to help your situation. But hey, I'm flattered that it seemed interesting enough for you to point out the problem.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:47:31 AM by sparky961 »

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
Most of the pictures I post this way can be seen here too.  It's a shared folder in Google Drive where I drop most of the stuff I use for posting online.

http://goo.gl/59y5gL

Offline sparky961

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
One final post to finish things off here.

I had completed doing all the rods a while back, maybe last week sometime.  The piece of wood that came with the set was pretty sad looking, and cupped pretty extremely.  I planned from the beginning to make something a bit more appropriate for this piece of precision equipment.

I thought about doing a box but when I open a drawer to reach for a tool, it's annoying to have to open another box too.

No big write up for this, but basically I designed it in SolidWorks using a picture as a background to make sure everything would fit.  I then printed it out 1:1 and glued it to a piece of wood that wasn't quite as big as I had originally planned.  While holding it in the milling vice, it was a pretty simple matter of "driving" the mill around and cutting it out following the pattern - that is, until the glue let loose.... but I got 'er done and am quite happy with the results.  The sequence of pictures shows design, milling, before staining, and a nice final glamour shot.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »
That looks nice Sparky.  :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »
Sparky

They will always have a home now and if one tries to hide under the bench you will know it right away. Nice job too.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »
a man after me own hart a job well dun

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »
Blummin well done, and shown, Sparky!  :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!