Author Topic: Leadscrew thread  (Read 2604 times)

Offline John Rudd

Leadscrew thread
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
My Ajax mill is going to be my next major project as it needs refurbishing.....
One thing I gave noticed is the Y axis leadscrew thread is not the same as the X......
I suspect the orig has been replaced at some time and looks to be a BSW thread form....

So, I'd like to sort this,so was thinking of using a BSC thread, basically because I can get the taps and dues for 20 tpi.....

Is this the right way of going about this or should I be looking at a different thread form?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Leadscrew thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
John, Acme form is normal and preferred thread form for imperial leadscrews and trapezoidal form if they're metric.

There are several reliable suppliers of both thread forms and leadscrew nuts in various shapes and materials in the UK......OZ.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:40:11 PM by Manxmodder »
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
This may be slightly off topic,  but has anyone noticed the the scissor and side jacks as provided with cars spare wheels often have square threads. ?

They tend to be right hand thread,  but for someone experimenting, they could be a source of lead screw material.

Dave.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:08:05 AM »
The following might be useful. Some sizes even supplied in left-hand threads if required.

http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearMotionProducts/LeadScrewsAndNuts/LeadScrews/LeadScrewSizes/38in10mmLeadScrew/tabid/247/Default.aspx

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:48:06 AM »
Or for something geographically closer - Kingston Engineeering in Hull stock ACME & Trapezoidal in a range of standard sizes. 

There are a few other UK suppliers.