Author Topic: Tap Wrench/Handle Plans  (Read 8346 times)

Offline sparky961

Tap Wrench/Handle Plans
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
I was thinking I might try making my own tap wrench/handle similar to the Starrett 91 series.  I've uses other peoples' and like how they work a lot better than the ones that come in the cheap sets.  They are, however, quite expensive to purchase - even used.

Just checking to see whether anyone else has had the same thought and can jump start the process for me.

Here's a link to show what they look like:
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/1-Precision-Measuring-Tools/11-Precision-Hand-Tools/1116-Precision-Shop-Tools/111607-Tap-Wrenchs/91B

Offline Steamer5

Re: Tap Wrench/Handle Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:30:39 AM »
 Hi Sparky,
 Take a look at Guy Lautard's 1st bedside reader. He has a how to for a nice small one, a little smaller than a Starrett #174. I made one some years ago, a fun project. Total length is about 3 1/2 ". On my to do list is to upsize it.......on day.

Cheers Kerrin
Cheers

Kerrin

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
I have a 91D and i agree it is quite something else compared to any other tap wrench ive used. Keep us posted on your progress i would love to see your endeavours in making one similar

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
I've got a Moore & Wright which is similar. They go for a few quid on eBay. Should be quite easy to make though.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
While surfing the web for tap wrench designs I ran across this article. I think it is worth reading. Takes more than price to ensure quality.

http://toolguyd.com/starrett-tools-tap-wrench-bad-quality/

Joe

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »
While surfing the web for tap wrench designs I ran across this article. I think it is worth reading. Takes more than price to ensure quality.

http://toolguyd.com/starrett-tools-tap-wrench-bad-quality/

Joe

Very interesting. I've certainly heard of "good" brands going bad over time. Maybe thats why the vintage ones still cost so much.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:36 PM »
Having read that it is really disappointing but the message is clear to any established brand that decides to outsource to the far Eastern manufacturers,and that is that they need to implement their own quality control on the ground at source of manufacture. Been there,got the tee shirt and it can be extremely frustrating keeping tabs on a Chinese sub contracting manufacturer.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »
Well go figure... turns out Starrett has solid models and 2D dimensional drawings of many/most/all of their tools available online for download.

I downloaded this one and it even shows the internals of the tool.  It's similar to the mechanism I figured they'd use but they do it a bit different than I imagined.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 04:40:56 PM »

Hi

I would make the wrench from silver steel, and harden and temper the clamping surfaces.

Cheers David