Author Topic: Strange unplanned collections  (Read 4128 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
Strange unplanned collections
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
I seem to have  started collecting old test indicators ,, although i find them interesting little bits of the history of how we got to the modern test indicators, I don't remember ever deciding to start collecting them, :scratch:. Does anyone else have a little collection of things they never quite planned on... (children don't count) :palm:
The big Boxford one caught me out, I  thought It was going to be the same size as the little one of the similar shape next to it,, 

>.Mike..

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Strange unplanned collections
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »
Nice collection Mike!  :thumbup:

Have you found a use for them yet?  :scratch:

:lol:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
I like it! It's a neat thing to collect.  :thumbup:  :clap:

For me, it's old tractors, tools, and small engines. I really didn't intend to collect tractors, and still don't mean to, It's just that I now have 3 of them, and I really only need one.  :)

Well I really didn't intend to collect small engines either, and don't consider myself a collector. But I have a lot of them, many broken. I keep thinking of potential projects I could use them for, and if someone offers me one because they know I already have a lot of them, I tend to say, okay.  :doh:

And old tools: well, who can resist that? Anything old or handmade in that line is treasured.

I probably don't need any more cold chisels........ 

I seem to get a lot of them with other more interesting gifts!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
Nice collection Mike!  :thumbup:

Have you found a use for them yet?  :scratch:

:lol:

David D
Oh very funny David,, you know fine well that me and accuracy are not compatible .. :bang:..

...M..

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:28:17 AM »

An interesting collection Mike, have you been able to date them?

Cheers  David

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
No I have'nt tried to date any of them yet,, But I like that idea...Id imagine that the big Boxford one is an accessory for one of their lathes so maybe Tony's lathes UK site may have some info, I'll have a look when i've got time..

I dont think the boss would let me collect tractors,,,no I can't see me getting away with that...  :wack:  dinky or corgi ones maybe but fully grown ones!!!no way..how do you end up with 3 tractors? It not the sort of thing you'd forget you've got already,,,I'm guessing their rare old vintage machines,,, are they all working or are they projects to be completed when the right bits surface?

...M..

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
The Boxford is a real find. Measures 'tenths' and probably originally came from a tool and cutter grinder.

Me? Too true, I have one. Martin Cleeve had one on his Myford ML7 for setting up and clocking tenths on his modified three jaw chuck with a slotted backplate. So if you are wanting the equivalent of a GripTru chuck- you've got one.

The rest of the 'toys' are also for precision setting up. I have-- some. :drool:

Happy Hogmanay and 2015. See you at Easter, perhaps? Somewhere near you-- and the Kelpies

Norman