Gallery, Projects and General > Mod-Ups!

Pipe and Bolt Engine Mod-Up

<< < (49/50) > >>

vtsteam:
Congratulations Russell, the valve was the coolest thing I've seen in small steam engines in a long time -- that's pretty hard to top! And nicely executed and videod -- with the breath demonstration and also the reversing capability. Just all around impressive, A well deserved trophy for that! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And Dwayne, that is a very fine strictly pipe, bolt (and nail) engine, that I've learned a lot from. The large valve tube clearance volume still intrigues me, and I will have more to say about that in future, because I think it's important to performance and construction techniques for some kinds of engines.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also the valve mechanism is really fun to watch and listen to. In fact I've gone so far as to put it through an audio analyzer, and so I can tell you that your engine was running in the video at 261 RPM, in case you're curious! Thank you for allowing us all to enjoy your build,..... and I'm still envious of your true bent pipe flywheel. I wish I could bend a circle like that in pipe.  :bow:

Thanks also to readers too for encouraging these two, and I hope Madmodders will think up more group builds and contests for this new Mod-up section. It's your forum for your ideas in how to have fun with joint projects. :beer:

:mmr:

shipto:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on February 17, 2015, 05:05:17 PM ---Also the valve mechanism is really fun to watch and listen to. In fact I've gone so far as to put it through an audio analyzer, and so I can tell you that your engine was running in the video at 261 RPM

--- End quote ---
Well That saves me a job I was going to tape a magnet to it this weekend and use a coil with my multimeter to figure out the rpm as I dont have a proper tacho, although I may still do it. The video had the engine running with around 20 psi I believe, I would like to see the maximum speed with ports as they are then try to open them up a little and see the difference

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on February 17, 2015, 05:05:17 PM ---...
Thanks also to readers too for encouraging these two, and I hope Madmodders will think up more group builds and contests for this new Mod-up section. It's your forum for your ideas in how to have fun with joint projects. :beer:

:mmr:

--- End quote ---

Agreed!

Not just engine builds either. Anything and everything is fair game for these builds. Want to do something with LEDs? Carbon Fiber? Have at it!

Manxmodder:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on February 17, 2015, 04:28:57 PM ---Ok guys!

I know I am behind on making the trophy, but I will get it made as promised. It just needs to warm up a touch before I can get out into the unheated shop!

Eric

--- End quote ---

You will be making it from some pipe and a bolt,I hope :lol: :lol:...OZ.

RussellT:
 :bugeye:

I feel like I've just won an Oscar and now have to make a gracious acceptance speech. :lol:

I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread for their encouragement, kind words and most importantly motivating me to have a go.  I am especially pleased with the positive comments from those members who have more experience in these areas than me and whose views I respect.

The only slight disappointment is that more people didn't have a go.  I was a bit worried about posting my progess on an unproven idea in case it didn't work, but I'm glad I did.  I enjoyed the whole build and reporting.

You should all have a go at the next one.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn something from it.

Thanks again. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Russell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version