Author Topic: Dial Gauge solvent?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Arbalist

Dial Gauge solvent?
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
I've got an old Mercer .002mm Dial Gauge that is sticky and takes an age to zero. It's not something I'll use very often but it's useless as it is so I thought it may make an interesting project. Also should it be oiled after cleaning with something like sewing machine oil?

Offline Joules

Re: Dial Gauge solvent?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »
I like Parker Hale gun oil.  Got given a couple of cans very impressed, otherwise I tend to like hydraulic oil, bit heavier but good lube and doesn't gum with age.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
If it were mine, I'd open it up and liberally wash it out with meths. Then dry it out slowly and apply a minute amount of the thinnest oil I could find.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, I'll try Meths.  :thumbup:

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Paging Bob KRV - he's the king of DTI resurrection!

Offline chipenter

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »
Brake cleaner or expanding foam cleaner is realy quick , just spray it on and move the plunger a few times , use no oil unles there are oil wells on the pivots .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:15:24 AM »
Beware of brake cleaner and similar solvents fogging the lens and dissolving the printing on the dial
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:55:09 AM »
I have cleaned dial gauges before. I always used methylated spirit. Be careful with the face, it may dissolve the printing. No fogging of the lens or disolving of other plastic components in my experience. I have used special clock-oil which can be bought in smal amounts from hobby-clock websites (verry thin and doesn't gum up). But only in minute amounts.
This is just the way I have done it, and had succes with. Just a diy guy though.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 06:21:02 AM »

One of my main interests is Horology, and I would not consider using any other lubricant than clock oil, which is specially designed for use on delicate mechanisms. I use a straightened paper clip, hammered flat on one end then, the sides filed to a point to form a small spade, for applying very small droplets of oil. On small items an eye glass can be helpful to ensure oil is applied to the correct components.
                                             Cheers David

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts folks, most useful.  :beer:

Offline Joules

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
I should have added to my comment, applied with a pin.  Not fit O rings and fill er' Up...
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
hi sos for the late reply DO NOT cleen the movment with anything while its still complet YOU must dismantel the movment and cleen it that way i have D.T.Is that pepel have tride to fix with penatrating oil and all thats dun is taken the print off the dile and gumd the movment even more NO solvent or oil shud be alawd on the dile once dismanteld i use staret instrment oil its desined for the job  as for cleening the dile itself well you may think its a bit yuk but i use cotton buds that i mosen with spit by puting them in me mawth this my seem strange but if its ok for works of art worht millones then is ok for dtis i once put a dile in a dish with just water and all the numbers came off as they wher transfers like the ones you got for your plastick model plane kits see sum of my post on dti repers hope this hellps