Author Topic: Table saw modding  (Read 5216 times)

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
Table saw modding
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Hello all,

Apologies if this is in wrong place, please move if needed. After quite a bit of time away from workshop I have returned in time for winter ;( and want some advice for trying to improve my Table Saw. A bit of back history is that I was brought a TS as a birthday present by family as I had been laid off and had more time and wanted to start various projects. Anyway cutting a long story short I received a JET JT-10 TS straight out of the box it felt cheap and nasty and at just shy of 200quid I felt it had a been a mistake. This is the first proper bench tool I have owned and realise that you have to pay for quality but the budget was limited. There were parts that didn't fit and the Chinglish manual well..... ended up hacksawing bits to make fit and then read online the reviews were at best not particularly positive.

As a novice I wasn't sure what I was looking at or for but I knew that this was going to be a struggle to fettle. My first point of concern is the guard. It is nigh on useless with so much movement and inaccuracy that I can't get a straight cut no matter how hard I try.
There there is the top that is as un-smooth as carpet of broken glass.
The Riving Knife is set at a jaunty angle no matter how I try and straighten it
The Safety Guard is so tight that it usually stops the progress of any cut.

There are other problems but these are the things that are hindering my progress. So I am looking for any help and advice in order to either rectify via modding or after looking online at a number of great Youtube channels build my own from the parts. What do people think?

Regards
Tom
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Table saw modding
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
Here's a few articles that might help. Especially the first one to combat the rough surface.

https://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/slippery.html
http://woodgears.ca/delta_saw/index.html
http://woodgears.ca/table_saw/index.html

I made a wooden fence for my own (wooden) table saw and it's worked out quite well. It's fairly solid and gives me straight cuts. There's an article in that third link about one that he made.

With that saw you've at least got the inside mechanism so there's alot of scope to modify the saw around it to make it something decent. You could even go the whole hog like this guy did.

I'd suggest the guard is totally useless and probably only included to reduce the manufacturer's liability for injuries. I don't know anyone who operates a tablesaw with one attached. I think I also once read that a riving knife is only decent if it's the same width as the blade, and having one also gets in the way of certain kinds of cuts. Again it's not something you really need unless you're ripping terrible beams with alot of internal stress.

If the top of your saw is not just rough, but also warped, you might be able to replace it with a board of good plywood. My own tablesaw uses birch ply for the surface and it's holding up fairly well.

Don't think you've made a bum purchase though. If you can turn a £200 tablesaw into something half decent with some quick modifications, then that's a bargain in my books.

Offline studders

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »
I've been stirred to 'un lurk'.

Operating a table saw with no guard is unwise, operating one with no Riving Knife is just plain stupid IMO.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:35:46 PM »
Well said sir !

Welcome aboard - sounds like you've been winkled out of lurking for the best of reasons  :ddb:

(My regards to Bromley - I left there 7 years ago )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline studders

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.
Bromley.. hmmm? Not the place it used to be, wish I'd left too when I had the chance but too old to be bothered now.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
Many thanks for the replies, and for the links S.Heslop that will go a long way to helping me with this TS.

Although thinking it was a bit of a write off when I received it I am going to look into where I am going to with this and hopefully resurrect it into something more accurate and useable. As for the Guard and Riving Knife I feel more comfortable with safety than without it but the level and quality of these items makes me feel that almost it would be better not to have them, although I still have them attached but they will need more fettling.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »
I've been stirred to 'un lurk'.

Operating a table saw with no guard is unwise, operating one with no Riving Knife is just plain stupid IMO.

I think learning good practice is more important than flimsy plastic guards that'd be plucked off in the event of a kickback.

Here's a nice little video where a guy recorded himself forcing a kickback. I feel the mistake he made was making such a wide cut against the fence, he should've been using a miter guide, a sled, or at least a better kind of push stick(s). A riving knife might've allowed him to get away with the stupid move but I wouldn't recommend relying entirely on it (especially not one on a cheap tablesaw that might be narrower than the blade, not properly set up, or able to flex sideways).

I've never been big on the idea that 'guards lull you into a sense of safety' but sometimes I feel it might be true. If you're operating a tablesaw there's alot to know and be aware for, and alot that can go wrong that a guard won't save you from. I'd recommend reading up on stuff, and also thinking about what'll happen during any cut.

Riving knives might be worth installing for certain types of operations, like ripping beams you suspect might spring during the cut and clamp onto the rear of the blade, or milling damp lumber. But they might get in the way during partial cuts. Also if they're wider or thicker than the blade you're using then they're entirely useless. From what i've seen, the ones that come on cheap tablesaws are just a 'feature' to list on the box and probably not that useful.

I do believe that people not using push sticks are insane though.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »
I think learning good practice is more important than flimsy plastic guards that'd be plucked off in the event of a kickback.

This for me is the most important thing and as a lone newbie bodger I am very aware of what little I do know and am having to learn by reading. Thankfully I have a strong sense of self preservation and a desire to keep all my digits! However I am suitably scared of the TS as to think about my "safety and security" :D The first job is to replace the blade as the one I have seems to burn its way through the cuts.