Author Topic: I wonder if I should bid on these?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
I wonder if I should bid on these?
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:10:09 AM »

Old new stock. Change wheels and access. for Hercus 260 lathe model CM
Made in Australia.
completed with :
Idler bolt
Idler bush
Idler washer
Idler Nut
compound gears:
72-18 teeth
54-18 teeth
Change gears:
80, 60, 36, 32 x 2, 30, 28., 26, 22, 20, 18 & 16 teeth.
No. 2 Morse centre
centre sleeve
spanners x 2

All in original packing.

It is not likely that these change wheels would match my lathe but just having a set of matched cogs seems like a cool sort of thing to have on the shelf.  Besides, I could use them for all those projects where a cog wheel is used as, for example, a handy index wheel.

Hmmmmmm :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: I wonder if I should bid on these?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
John,

I would, but it depends on how high you need to go to get those. Gears are always nice to have around per your last sentence.

You'd probably kick yourself if you let them go and then found an application for them.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »

You'd probably kick yourself if you let them go and then found an application for them.

Bernd

Ah yes, I am quite familiar with that sentiment and the contents of my shed can attest to it! :lol:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
Sounds like you have a shed full of "I could use these one day" items.

Time for two sheds maybe?  :)

Bernd

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
Bernd, we have a double garage, it has my ute which fills one bay and my wife's Suzuki Baleno (small hatch) which fills half the other. 

There is another garage which is about 1.5 times the usual width, it is supposed to be the workshop and has an inspection pit.

There is another room opening off the 1.5 garage which is the electronic workshop, then at the side of the house we have a 20' shipping container.

The 1.5 garage is 'full', shelves stacked with good stuff! Three motorcycles, arc, mig and gas welding sets, drill press, bench grinder, workbench with vice, cold saw (for metal), lawn mower, cabinets of good stuff, a small loft for other good stuff.  A table (made from a flush door) for my copy router machine.  I cannot move in this room!

The electronic workshop has a collection of computer relics, old radio transmitter front panels (lots of knobs meters and switches), PCs including TRS80, Z80 mini, Dec Rainbow, daisy wheel printer, stacks of old floppy and hard disk drive waiting to be ratted for stepper motors and magnets, shelves with technical books and shelves of neat stuff, ancient meters, funky switch gear, funny gear box things etc etc.  Telescope equipment, the floor is covered with plastic bins filled with good stuff.  I cannot move in this room!

The container is reserved for Lego which is under some degree of control but the space has been eroded somewhat by a growing collection of camera equipment.

My lathe is installed in front of the Suzuki with my little Adept shaper beside it.  Heavy wooden shelves on one side carry about a ton of transformers of all sizes waiting for the day when scrap prices are optimum and I dont need any more transformers!  There is a high shelf with cartons of radio valves (i.e. "toobs") waiting for the day when someone needs one of them.

But it is not as bad as it seems, to make room for the lathe I had to get rid of a floor standing Collins radio transmitter which went to a new home back in America for which he paid me the agreed sum.  The transmitter is 55 years old and had stood in my garage for 25 years, I am glad I kept it that long.

Last evening my niece came to visit bringing her boyfriend who is bit of a computer expert.  He told us he had been reading about 'core RAM', perhaps you know what that was?  I got up from the table and astounded him by bringing a card from my store of good stuff which he very proudly carried off to show his workmates.  I took that from a scrapped mainframe in about 1977.

Never throw anything away Bernd!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
WOW  :bugeye:

I guess you don't throw anything away.

How's your indexing system on finding a particular part that is needed for that project that needs to be done today? :lol:

So did you get the gears or are you going to get that samll lathe? Looks to be a watch or instrument makers lathe, by the way.  :wave:

Bernd

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »
Bernd, the indexing system used to work quite well but it has been failing a little lately! ::)

The gear set auction will not close for a few days yet, likewise the little lathe.  The special interest in the lathe is that it is an 'Adept' brand so came from the same little factory as my petite shaper.  I suppose watchmaters etc might have used them but the intended customer for those products would have been the home model maker of pre-war UK.  Google 'Adept lathe', there is quite a bit of information out there.  I wish I could snag it for the original price 12/6d, or about 65 UK pence, about 2 dollars I guess though in those days it would have been more like $10 equivalent (I think).

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »
I bought the change gears!  Now I need to think of a worthy project!

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »
Make a lathe to go around them.

Bogs