Author Topic: Db11 issues again :(  (Read 3057 times)

Offline The Steamer

Db11 issues again :(
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
Well shes thrown a hissy fit yet again :bang:

All has beennfine since fitting a new motor a few months back but upon turning the lathe on  it tripped the main breaker for the garage,after doing this a few times in a rowci admitted there was a problem.

I checked the motor brushes and gave them a quick clean, re fitted and the lathe ran in forwords fine  :dremel:

I stopped the lathe switched to reverse and when setting her off pop goes the breaker again  :doh:

So I re set thinking ill just make do without reverse this time, only now it trips in forward or reverse!

Anyone have any ideas this time?

Offline John Rudd

Re: Db11 issues again :(
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »
Is the machine tripping an earth leakage breaker or an mccb?( moulded case circuit breaker)
If its tripping on earth leakage then you need to strip the motor and clean up the commutator end thoroughly.....what happens is the build up of carbon from the brushes can cause a leakage path to earth hence the ELCB tripping....

Lets her how you get on please.... :zap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
Hi John thanks for the reply, I've just tried it again taking note of what it is tripping out. It is the RCB that is tripping not the breaker for the garage. Very similar to what it was doing last time without the motor making any effort to turn.

It's tripping the instant I push the nvr switch.

I'll strip the motor and give her a clean

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »

I'll strip the motor and give her a clean
Ok,just make sure it is absolutely clean and dry when you re assemble it....any trace of carbon could potentially cause it to trip...
Best of luck....

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »
So it appears it's not the lathe! Theres a strip light wired to a plug (was there when we moved in)
It is plugged into the same double socket as the lathe. I unplugged the lathe and turned the light on and the RCB tripped! I unplugged the light and plugged the lathe back in and the motor now works fine!?!?!

My feeble knowledge of electrics strikes again. I'll drop the motor back in and take the lathe for a spin.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Ahh... Good you got it bottomed out... :zap:
Just bear in mind the stuff about the motor for the future... :dremel:

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the help John, I've just wrote everything down you recommend for future use. Whilst the motor is out I'm going to clean it out as the brush box is full of carbon dust.

:proj: