Author Topic: Is it me or What?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Is it me or What?
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
An interesting Sunday night thought!:

So following on from watching John's ( :bow: Aka DB aka Twastered) ER32 video work is progressing.

Have reproduced the lathe nose on a 2MT mandrel - Job's a gud un!

Realised I needed to make the go/nogo plug gauge (had enough from the blank mandrel) so of to work it is.

Thanks to John decided to make the finished gauge end first and of course over shot the dimensions. No probs thats the 10 thou under gauge end.

Did the other end SLOWLY and got a great fit. My only problem was that the cross slide readings didn't agree with the micrometer :scratch: :scratch

So got out several Clocks, DTIs and the old (read New) digital bits a pices and guess what?

On my imperial ML7 both cross/top/carriage feeds are all OUT!

Put on 40 thou and get 42!

Fot 10 tpi table and 8 tpi lead screw this is a bit weird to say the least

OR IS IT JUST ME :doh: :doh:

Any one else actually measured the feeds achieved from the Myford dials (Mine are the restables)?

BTW I know that if the jibs are too tight the slides can jump or spurt inacurately but mine are set smooth. Also the slides are square (checked)
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline chipenter

Re: Is it me or What?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
Sounds like you have some wear , remove the cross slide screw and measure the ends 2 thouin 40 is 5 thou per turn , I bet the unused end is 5 thou more than the most used section .
Jeff

Offline DavidA

Re: Is it me or What?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
This isn't a case of assuming it's imperial when it turns out to be metric,  is it ?

Happened to me.

Dave.