Author Topic: Mini-Lathe Saddle gibs Rework  (Read 7976 times)

Offline steampunkpete

Mini-Lathe Saddle gibs Rework
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
My modification is similar to that of the “Tools and Mods” webpages (http://www.toolsandmods.com/lathe/mini-lathe-saddle) but with a few changes:
The two new gibs are made from stock ¼ x ¾ inch stock mild steel.

I drilled and tapped only two holes for the smaller grub-screws (making sure that the ends of the screws  were flat). These holes are as far to the edge of the gib away from the lathe as I could make them without fear of breaking out of the side.

I didn’t use studs, I used M6x30 socket head grub screws. They are a few pence each and don’t require the faffing about with two nuts and spanners.

I didn’t use Loctite on the three M6 grub-screws; plumber’s-tape has the advantages over Loctite of being cheaper, always within its shelf life, no problems over the grade or of it not working because the hole isn’t degreased properly or because it has been poorly stored. Loctitie is really good stuff for some applications, but sometimes there are alternatives. If I do want to change things later I can always get it apart again.

These two smaller grub screws are also locked with plumber’s-tape. Provided one leaves a thread or two showing the screw will engage easily enough, and it won’t become loose under vibration. This, to my mind, is a better arrangement than locking with a nut as there is no danger that doing up the nut will disturb the position of the screw – the screw locked by plumber’s-tape just stays where it’s put.

The setting up process is simple. Use a clamp to hold the new gibs flat against the underside of the bed. Fit the two small grub-screws and wind each in until it just touches the gib. Next, wind on the two lock-nuts. Tighten the first until it touches the gib, then remove the clamp and adjust the nut until the feel of the saddle becomes just too tight when the handle is wound, then back off a smidgeon (is that a sort of small pigeon?). Repeat this exercise with the second locking-nut. Then repeat for the first nut, tightening the nut until the saddle starts to stiffen up a little and then back-off the nut a smidge (a small midge?) until it feels right. The second adjustment of the first nut compensates for any settling of the system during the process due to the weight of the gib acting as a lever before the second nut is adjusted. (In the photo you will see that there are three locking-nuts. The middle one does nothing – it isn’t tightened down, it’s just there in case I ever want to change the arrangement).

I no longer have any trouble with slack under-slung saddle-nuts, especially the ones hidden behind the apron – ooooh Matron!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Mini-Lathe Saddle gibs Rework
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
Will you be going to use tapered gibs?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
I haven't considered tapered gibs yet. I've seen the posts, and they look a pretty good design. So far this arrangement has worked fine for me, and at the moment I haven't a milling machine. I'm hoping denizens of this group will point me in the direction of the best buys in that area.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
Hi Pete,

I don't know which version of the C3 you have... but one thing that made a huge difference for me was replacing the single half nut/hook combo with 2 half nuts. Like this:

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3063&category=

I know some of the C3's already have them though.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
I've a Clarke CL300M and it comes with two half-nuts; the down side is that a future task will be figuring out a system for keeping swarf off the lead-screw. (The C3 generally comes with both half nuts or a shield to keep the lead-screw clean. The provision of the top lead screw half-nut prevents fitting a shield, so it's one or the other but not both).

I've seen two solutions to this problem fitted to a C3, one is a concertina type cover that keeps swarf off the bed and the lead-screw, the other is a spirally wound flat spring-steel strip that is wrapped around the lead-screw and concertinas when the saddle moves. Anybody know what these are called and where they come from?

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 02:49:19 AM »
the spiral wound thingy  will reduce the travel of the saddle at the HS end , not worth it IMHO

Stuart

Offline bp

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
I've a Clarke CL300M and it comes with two half-nuts; the down side is that a future task will be figuring out a system for keeping swarf off the lead-screw. (The C3 generally comes with both half nuts or a shield to keep the lead-screw clean. The provision of the top lead screw half-nut prevents fitting a shield, so it's one or the other but not both).

I've seen two solutions to this problem fitted to a C3, one is a concertina type cover that keeps swarf off the bed and the lead-screw, the other is a spirally wound flat spring-steel strip that is wrapped around the lead-screw and concertinas when the saddle moves. Anybody know what these are called and where they come from?
I have a C3 with no lead screw protection and part of my "close down procedure", is to clean off the big lumps of swarf from the machine, and clean the lead screw with an old tooth brush, with chuck spinning and half nuts engaged it only takes a minute.  Then a squirt with some oil on the lead screw, then a squirt of Inox (aerosol light oil, not WD40) overall and away you go.
cheers
Bill

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:56:32 AM »
There is a lead screw spring cover for sale on Ebay (221555767380) It is too large for a C3 lathe but it may lead you in the right direction.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
 :thumbup:
I shall have a look at the ebay ref - Thanks Norman,

I use an old, stiff paintbrush Norman, and have a similar close-down drill to you. Being idle I just want to make it easier! Thanks for the reply.