Author Topic: OSAKI Mini Mill  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
OSAKI Mini Mill
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
Hi guys,

Maybe more aimed at the UK members:

Has any one any comments on the OSAKI mini Mill from Cfomwell tools:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/OSA2715500K

My drill press is nearing end of life and this would be a great birthday present!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline John Rudd

Re: OSAKI Mini Mill
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
Pretty much the same as any other X2 mini mill.....

You could say its your general run of the mill mill...... :) :) .....

Ok for the money but for a bit more you could get the Sieg X2 super duper model from Arc Eurotrade

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X2-Plus-Mill/SIEG-Super-X2P-HiTorque-Mill

and its only £20 more....

A much better machine imho.....( I speak as an owner too... as I have both variants)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Deko

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
Hi Will,  I have never dealt with Cromwell, but I have been dealing with Arc Euro for many, many years and I have always had first class service from them.   :thumbup: Just my two pence worth.

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline Will_D

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
Many thanks for the info. There seem to be a huge number of very similar verions of this basic design. The photos all look very similar but the detailed specs vary ever so slightly - like the travels and the machine weight.

Thanks for the Arco recomendation will enquire about a shipping to Ireland :bugeye:

The thing about the Cromweel version is that they have a Dublin outlet called TED www.ted.ie

What are the pitches of the feed screws? I think they are imperial and 16 tpi so one complete rev. is 62.5 thou.

One last question: Is it better to buy the collet set or the more expensive ER25 or ER32 sets?

My old myford ML7 just has a set of collets!

I assume its because with the ER set its much quicker to change the collets as you don't touch the drawbar.

I know more about lathes than mills!

Talking of which must finish off the renovation of a little Centec 2 Horizontal mill!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
FWIW, I run a set of ER 32 collets in both lathes and mills....the draw bar never gets touched....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Will_D

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »
After much deliberation I think its going to be this one:

SIEG Super X2P HiTorque Mill:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X2-Plus-Mill/SIEG-Super-X2P-HiTorque-Mill

I really liked the OffTheShelf Amadeal AMA25DRO fitted but its just too big for me!

Reasons for the SX2P:

Bigger/Heavier, non swivelling column, Belt drive, Hi-Torque motor (well so they say)
Also Arc have a great reputation for after sales service, spares and imaginative upgrades.

Now only two questions left:

1. This mill does not have a moving quill as far as I can see! All drilling/milling involves the whole head moving up and down the column via the rack and pinion. There 'appears to be' a spring counter balance fitted, Does this work? Whats it like as a (expensive) pillar drill?

2. I intend to fit a set of decent glass or magnetic DROs and display. Any one done this already?

I know Arc have a OTS set for the X3 so as most of the little bits and bobs will probably fit I will ask them in the morning about a set of suitable scales!

Offline velocette

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »
Hi Will
A good choice for a home workshop and a massive improvement on the earlier X2 which sadly was not available when I fitted out my home shop.
Had to spend a lot of time and  extra cash to get it to perform reasonably well to be even near the SX2 specs.

""There 'appears to be' a spring counter balance fitted, Does this work? Whats it like as a (expensive) pillar drill?""

Reading this it appears that they still fit the spring assist on the mill head.
Sorry to rain on the parade but personally I found it to be very frustrating to use.
So it got removed and an "Air Spring" fitted inside the column to a frame attached to the mill head.
A longer rack fitted to give more head travel.
The "Air Spring" is ex automotive supply store for Station wagon counter balance Rated for 24 kgs and 220 mm travel.
All round performance both as a Mill and Drill is more than capable of all that is required in a home shop.

Enjoy and keep posting

Eric     

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »
I too have the older X2 and got fed up with the spring assist (actually, it was mostly a hindrance I reckon). It was a squeeze but I fitted an air spring OR gas strut inside the column at the same time I converted to belt drive after a head drop (I blame the spring, rather than the goose who forgot to adjust the column gib. :hammer:) smashed the internal gears. Well worth the effort but no reason why you cannot use as is until you feel the need to convert.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Will_D

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Time to find the auld credit card.

Santa's late this year but he will need a bigger sack!

Offline greenie

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:03 AM »
I too have the old X2 and that later version - SX2 - is definitely a good buy, you should have it around for many years in your workshop.

The X2 I fitted onto the back of an Emco Maximat V10P lathe, then threw away that spring set-up altogether, used some weight lifting weights hanging from a pushbike brake cable, up over the top of the mast to counterbalance the head.
Works like a charm now, it's totally balanced and requires light finger pressure to raise or lower the head, the head does not fall when you don't want it too either.