Author Topic: Stepped clamps for rotary table  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Stepped clamps for rotary table
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
 I am setting up to cut gears using a 4” Vertex Rotary Table on my X2 Mill. Somewhere, in my research, I saw a picture of the same RT, clamped to a mill table using custom low profile clamps that nearly filled the slots on the Vertex and didn’t interfere with either the RT table or the chuck that was mounted.  I didn’t think at the time to save the picture or ask the poster about it. Now I can’t find it.
The clamps did not require the use of the standard clamping kit step blocks. They looked like an upside down stair case.
Anyone know where this design came from?  Can I get a reference or even a sketch of the dimensions, please?
Thanks,
 [font=]Chuck[/font]
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Stepped clamps for rotary table
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
I found the website I got the idea from, but it's in German, and I don't read or write German. I'm not that good in my native 'Merican English...
It's here"

http://www.metallmodellbau.de/GEAR-CUTTING.php

No link  or indication to translate the web page or corespond in english with the author of the article. I can see the clamp I'm talking about in several views, so I'll just measure up my RT and see if I can make something like it!

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
Chuck

see my post ref translation on MEM

Stuart

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Chuck -- Meine deutsch sehr sehr schlect ist! (My German is very very poor.)  I learned German nearly 50 years ago from a man who fled Germany in 1932 and (A) it has been a long time since I used it more than trivially and (B) the German language was completely redone after reunification.  We had a bunch of German exchange students some years ago and they all told me, "You sound like my grandfather!"

In any case, what you are looking at is traditionally known as a gooseneck clamp.  The key here will be to use something like a pair of setscrews to establish perfect clamping when the t-slot screw (and, I assume t-slot key) is tightened.  The tips of the (half-dog, recommended) setscrews allow "adjustment" for variations, wear, and cumulative deflection of the clamp.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
See my post on MEM.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks Arbalist.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN