Author Topic: One-shot oiler for mini-mill?  (Read 11407 times)

Offline websterz

One-shot oiler for mini-mill?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »
Has anyone installed a single point oiler on their mini-mill? I am not interested in a gravity fed system like sight glass oilers...I am talking about a manual pressure oiler like a Bijur. There are several spots that require a regular dab o' lube and a one-shot system would seem to be the way to go. It's a pain in the keester running the table back and forth and fighting with the way covers to get an oil can in there. Every knee-mill I have ever ran had one...I want one for my x2 (and my 7x12 for that matter).

Just had a thought. Couldn't I mount something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plews-50-337-Handled-Oiler-Flexible/dp/B000CCM4ZK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1258424003&sr=8-6

above the mill, and plumb it in with some 5/32" oiler tube and fittings? I could easily make a manifold to distribute the oil to all the necessary points, and use set-screws in the manifold ports as adjustable restrictors to balance the pressure. It would be gravity assisted but not a constant drip system. Whaddya' think?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:19:12 PM by websterz »
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline 75Plus

Re: One-shot oiler for mini-mill?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
According to Little Machine Shop's Mini Mill Guide most of the lube points call for grease and once a year. They recommend daily oiling of the machined surfaces but that can be done with an oily rag. Here is their link. Lubrication is on page 16.

Joe

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:44 AM »
According to Little Machine Shop's Mini Mill Guide most of the lube points call for grease and once a year. They recommend daily oiling of the machined surfaces but that can be done with an oily rag. Here is their link. Lubrication is on page 16.

Joe

I know they like to recommend lithium grease, but in an unheated shop it can get pretty gummy. I agree with bogs...I would rather have oil dripping out than be under-lubed. I like non-detergent 30 weight motor oil, and plenty of it.  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
Webz,

I don't think that could get up enough pressure or volume to lubricate all parts.

I know it isn't on your continent, but this is really the sort of stuff you should be looking at. Where you can balance the flow, otherwise one area will always be lubed and other areas not.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/One-Shot-Lubrication-System

Bogs

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »
Not sure if you guys can get this magazine over there....Model Engineers workshop...

There was an article on installing a one shot system on a mini mill and it recommended the referenced link above.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
That's Chesters website.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
I think this gives it away  :D

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »