Author Topic: Microwave oven  (Read 911 times)

Offline NormanV

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 619
  • Country: gb
  • United Kingdom
Microwave oven
« on: October 25, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
Some time ago I dismantled a microwave oven. I was looking for the copper coils of the transformer to melt down. I was dissapointed to find that the coils were aluminium. :doh: All was not lost as there were two lovely magnets that have been fun to play with but as yet I have not found a use for them. No doubt I will one day.
Inside the workings of a microwave oven is beryllium oxide which is apparently very dangerous. At the time I was not aware of this. How long will it be before I start to transform into a zombie, or whatever, due to my exposure to this dangerous chemical?
This is  serious question despite my light-hearted attitude. Throughout my life I have been exposed to many chemicals that we did not know were dangerous until it was too late. I am still alive and reasonably healthy, I am 74. How dangerous are these chemicals? I stopped smoking 53 years ago but still drink excessive alcohol, I eat less meat than I used to and more vegetables. I wish I knew the secret to long life.

Offline Muzzerboy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
  • Country: gb
    • The Mighty Shiz
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
BeO would only be hazardous if you managed to grind it up into fine powder and inhale it. That it itself might be pretty tricky!

Offline NormanV

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 619
  • Country: gb
  • United Kingdom
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:38:34 PM »
I crunched the part that I believe contained Beryllium Oxide with a pair of pliers. I think that may have produced some fine dust that floated in the atmosphere. How much do you need to breathe in to be affected?
 Please do not think that I am paranoid about this, it is too late to worry. It is just that I am interested in risk management. I have had arguements (discussions) with factory inspectors in the past. Are we making too much of tiny risks?

Offline WeldingRod

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 393
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
More like carcinogenic.  Clean up your dust with a wet.paper towel.
I wouldn't be super worried about a one time exposure to a little accidentally generated dust.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


Offline tom osselton

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Country: ca
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 04:31:42 PM »
The secret to long life is Relax and keep breathing!
PS.
Donít apply for the Darwin awards!

Offline DavidA

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1219
  • Country: gb
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
When I worked at the lab I had to machine Beryllium.

We were always warned about it when it came in. And we always wore masks when cutting it.  No one ever became ill because of it. We did once get some Superduplex Stainless steel that had come from a nuclear power station.
My dodgy item these days if Methanol I use for making fuel. Got to be careful with that as it is a neuro toxin.