Author Topic: How to use Tapmatic CST ID50 (manually)?  (Read 7412 times)

Offline PekkaNF

How to use Tapmatic CST ID50 (manually)?
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
I thought that I bought a manual tapping unit....description was pretty vague and picture was not very clear.

I got the parcel today from the mail and the tapping unit was very different than I was expeIting.

Marking on the unit says CST TAPMATIC ID50
* It has taping capacity to M12
* It has ER20 collet
* Max rpm 2500

It looks like never used. It has a box, warranty card, goodiebag, but no manual.

I did google it left and right, but can't find manual for it.

Does anybody has a manual for it? Or setting procedure?

It looks very much like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-CST-Tapmatic-RD50-Tapping-Head-w-Accessories-CAT50-flange-available-/170945837513

Any hope using it on manual machine?

Does it has only side coolant or does it support trough coolant?

Pekka

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: How to use Tapmatic CST ID50 (manually)?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »
Pekka,

I am finding no information on an ID50 model from Tapmatic.  My guess is that this is a CNC machine model.  Manual models have a "rod" that screws into the body of the tapping head and rests against some solid feature of the mill to prevent the body from rotating (the closely coupled "up extension" off the side of the body should mate to a feature on a CNC spindle to accomplish the same thing).  Also, manual models have a gear-set that reverses (and speeds up) the rotation when the spindle is raised.  When the spindle on the head is manually spun, you should see the "chuck end" (A) rotate in the same direction and (B) rotate much more slowly than your "input speed."  IF this is the case, then you will need to add a "feature" on the spindle of your mill or drill press to "catch" the "up extension" noted above.

That is my guess on the subject...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
I'd contact the makers if you get no direct responses:

http://www.tapmatic.co.uk/
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
Lew, my sentiment pretty much. I was expecting a model with a bar sticking out, but this turned out to be CNC model.

It has a feature sticking up abutting a stop block on machine spindle, pretty much like RCT50 taping head:
http://tapmatic.com/images/pdf/RCT50-85-100_catalog_pages.pdf

Andrew, I was hoping to find some information maybe even some experience here. But you are right, probably it's easiest to contact them.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:53:09 AM »
OK. I did contact tapamatic.co yesterday. I'm waiting for some info.

I have figured out "manually" few things about it and I think I can get it to work for me. It looks really nice and expensive, I don't want to break it. Although it looks like it is designed to spend pretty hard life on maching centre.

I need to device way of mounting it correctly, it needs a little push on stop bar to disengage index pin and allow spindle to rotate.

I was told that is has ER25 collet chuck. It is ER20. I don't have those collets and I'm torn between normal collets and square drive collets.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »
Update: Mailled tapmatic UK twice, I didn't got any answer. Mailed this afternoon USA and I got 13 page manual that had all the info I needed. Looks like I can use it.

Unfortunately my wifes car is making a noise that could signal that gear box is heading south...She has to take my car and I need to walk 20 mins, take train and walk again 20 minutes. 20 mins of private car turns to close hour of commuting...and I start my day with a visit to the doctor. Not the way I planned yesterday.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »
I was thinking earlier, now you know what model Tapmatic you have, you could probably sell it for considerably more than you paid, buy the model you expected, and have a wad of change. May not be enough for a gearbox though . . .
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:51 AM »
Well, I'm not a business type person and I'm affraid selling something like this on profit and actually running away with a cash instead of materialized risk is something I'm not good at. I rather keep a good find than risk getting knackered one in hope of some cash.

One friend thoug said that he does not need one, but really wants one because it is really cool. He used to design one-off big insdrustrial gearboxes and this looks to him bit like a clock work.

I think it's very much of a overkill (etceteraa) to my needs and if it didn't practilly jump on my screen I never would have searced or tried to aquire it. To my needs even this would be plenty:
http://boating.marsh-design.com/sites/default/files/u4/2013/August/OB2/MBM20130801-203028-3291w.jpg

But I have it now and I'm not complaining of a too good thing.

Pekka