Author Topic: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock  (Read 112468 times)

lordedmond

Re: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
The pin is not to fix but to locate it the glue that fixes the cam, the position I mentioned for the pin is the non working area and will not cause any problems.

With this method you can harden the cams right out and then put them on the shaft , pin hole drilled before hardening as you know

Stuart

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2014, 12:38:05 PM »
Okay--Experiment completed. I had a bit of left over 1/2" drill rod. It cuts very easily with a file. I flame hardened and quenched one end, put it in the lathe to hold it, and tried to cut it with a file. Couldn't cut it at all. Harder than the devil's horn!!! I set it up in a vice and silver soldered a small bit of 3/16 mild steel shaft to the end of it, let it air cool, and again set it up in the lathe. The file now once again cuts the drill rod very easily. The heat of silver soldering "unhardens" the hardened drill rod. Looks like I will be using Stuart's suggested method.---Something worth remembering!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
AAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!---Giant headslap for me!!! I cross drilled the cams, hardened the cams, cross drilled the cold rolled camshafts, made up .093" cold rolled cross pins----and trial fitted everything. Was being REALLY careful with the cams. Slathered everything with Loctite, dropped the cam into place, aligned the cross drilled holes, and as I pushed the .093 pin into place by hand, encountered some resistance. Took it out to the anvil and CAREFULLY tapped the pin all the way thru.--And then---just as I thought I had won---I heard a little "crack"!!! OH POOP!!!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
They were supposed to BOTH look like the one on the left----Honest!!! The cross pin is mild steel and will get filed down until the surface is an exact match for the hardened cam surface. And everything is coated with #638 Loctite.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »
I have been so overwhelmed with "busy" in the rest of my life, that I haven't had time to devote to this engine lately. I did manage to steal two hours yesterday evening to remake and harden the cam which was broken and assemble the cams, camshaft, gears, and tappets and tappet guide. This engine is getting very close to being a runner. During the rush leading up to having the top end of the engine finished, I forgot to lap the valves into their seats. Fortunately, I can easily access the valve stems to grip them with a finger chuck when the cylinder is removed from the engine, so that shouldn't be a problem. I am very pleased at how well the gear/cam/tappet train seems to work, so have attached a short video of them in operation.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:53:09 PM by dsquire »

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
That's great progress,Brian.

Nice to see the scale of the motor compared to your hand,I look forward to more of your posts in the near future......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
I haven't abandoned ship--Just been very busy. This afternoon I made up the knurled adjuster knobs that fit on the ends of the camshafts, but then found out I was out of #8 socket head capscrews of the correct length. I stuck two in the place that the much shorter ones will go in when I get them. On the right you can see the true meaning of "Make it up as you go." I forgot to lap the valves, and cut the long piece of parent metal off that I generally use for a handle when lapping the valves and seats together. So---I made up a pair of extended 1/4" "handles", counterbored them 1/8" to suit the valve stems, and cross drilled them together with a 1mm (.039") drill for a drive pin to connect them. The valves needed to be cross drilled anyways, so it kills two birds with one stone. I will lap the valves tomorrow and start the final assembly of everything.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
This morning I got up early and lapped both of the valves into the seats. I first lapped them with 400 grit carborundum paste, then after a good cleaning, lapped them again with 600 grit. Everybody seems to do this a different way. In an earlier post you will see the "handles" that I attached to the valve stems. (Normally I leave the parent material from which the valves are cut long enough to be a "handle" and then cut it off after lapping is completed). The valve seat and valve face are coated with the carborundum paste (it doesn't take very much) and then the "handle" is gripped between my thumb and finger and revolved back and forth while pulling the valve into the seat. I do this ten times back and forth, then lift the valve off the seat,rotate it a quarter turn, and then repeat. I do this a total of ten times.  Never use a power tool to do this. This is a job for "finger twiddling" only. After a thorough cleaning of both valves and seat areas, the valve springs and brass keepers were installed and the .039" cross pins installed. This as a job that always makes me wish for a third arm and hand, but I manage with the two I have. I am now at the point where I can't really go any further until I can buy a tube of Molycote grease tomorrow for the big end needle bearing. (Do you suppose turkey grease would work?--It's thanksgiving here today.) The valves open and close very nicely, which is always pleasing to see. I hear my wife up now preparing a feast for hoards of children and grand children, so being a firm believer in self preservation I had better get upstairs out of my machine shop and help her.--All you other Canadians following this thread---Happy Thanksgiving!!!---Brian

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »
Hi Brian

Looks like your getting close to the end on this one and it's looking good.

;Have a good Thanksgiving with family and friends.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks Don---

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
I've heard it said that "Close only counts in horse-shoes and hand grenades." There is one other place that it counts, and that is clearance where the con rod exits a round hole in the bottom of the cylinder. I showed lots of clearance in my 3D cad model when I took a section view thru the center of the engine, but in the case of a rectangular cross section rod exiting thru a round hole in the bottom of the cylinder, it doesn't tell the whole story. If you look at the edge of the con rod, about at the center, you will see how much clearance I DIDN'T have. I thought I felt some resistance when I first rotated the assembled engine by hand, but it was stiff and I was able to get a full rotation after working the crankshaft back and forth a bit rotationaly.  I will file a radius on the corners of the con rod, and that will take care of things. There is no moral to this story, other than the fact that building one of these small engines always has a few surprises in the process. Laying in the picture with the con rod and piston is the newly machined and hardened wrist pin.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:22:16 AM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2014, 02:50:28 AM »
Bad luck. Presumably there will be witness marks on the rod where the interference is? Can you perhaps mount it in the 4 jaw and turn the corners off ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »
  I will file a radius on the corners of the con rod, and that will take care of things.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
I am down to the point in my parts making where all that is left is the carburetor, exhaust pipe, and the cooling fan system. I still have a lot of bronze laying around, so decided to make this part today, just because it's do different. Alas, it is not going to happen. Whatever it is about bronze, if the bandsaw blade has any wear on it at all, it simply won't cut bronze. A new blade, it cuts fine.  A slightly used blade, and it just isn't going to happen. The blade still cuts aluminum and steel with no problem but not the bronze. My metal supplier who has a big industrial size self feeding bandsaw and cuts the slices of the 5 or 6" diameter " bronze billet" I have says the same thing about his saw. I would switch to aluminum for the part, but I have to be able to silver solder the fan shroud to it.---Darn!!!

lordedmond

« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
Brian

You will have to do what I do keep a blade for bronze/brass when it wears then use it for steel same for milling cutters new ones for the two B,s the down to steel

Both things once they have cut steel are NBG for brass

Build is coming along just fine soon be time for some bangs

Stuart

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
Now here is something a little different. I really didn't like the look of the exhaust pipe running out of the engine on an angle, and the carb being mounted on an angle, but I had to design it that way so the exhaust wouldn't interfere with the carburetor. Today I was down at Partsource, an automotive supply store, and seen a rack of steel 90 degree and 180 degree bend steel tubes for automatic transmission repairs. For a couple of bucks, I thought "Hey---If that worked out, I could run the exhaust straight out from the engine and mount the carburetor at 90 degrees." I can't bend anything on that sharp a radius without kinking it badly. That tube measures 3/8" o.d. and has a .028" thick wall. I will keep you posted on this and let you know if it works out.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
For reasons far more complex than I want to go into (but mainly involving how little material was left beside the counterbored bolt holes), I have went to a total redesign of this part. I don't do this terribly often, but since it is almost the last major part, and because it will be made of brass now instead of bronze, I have redesigned it. I finished the last of my "drop in" engineering design contracts this morning, so hope to complete this part and possibly the fan tomorrow.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
If the engine runs, I can guarantee that it will run cool. The white plastic fan is out of  some computer hardware. I am not crazy about the color of it, (I may paint it) but at least the pitch on the blades is correct. I realize that the curvature of the blades would make it more efficient if it was going to turn counterclockwise, but it still puts out a good column of air if turned clockwise (I set all my engines up to turn clockwise.) That is because I use my variable speed drill as a starter, and if I run it counterclockwise the chuck loosens off. I still have to find some thin wall tubing of the correct diameter to solder onto my fan support to act as a fan shroud as per the 3D cad model seen at the early stages of this thread.--those little fans will really chop up fingers.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
I think I may try my Chuck Fellows carburetor on this engine. It works great on the Webster. I will make a more complicated larger carburetor if I have to, but I already have the Chuck Fellows carb, and if I use it I can come straight out of the engine ports with both exhaust and carb and not have any interference.--Speaking of exhaust---I kind of like this. You can do nifty things with a piece of 1/2" diameter brass and a 1/16" slitting saw!!!---

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
Cross your fingers for me guys. It's pretty well all over but the final assembly. I am pleased with the way my intake and exhaust manifold turned out, and my Chuck Fellows carburetor looks real proud setting up there. Yes, I will be bevelling the corners on the tappet guide, gear backplate and fan support just like the solid model, but I thought I would wait until I had everything assembled and do it "in place". All I have left to fabricate is the fan shroud, and I MIGHT do that before I try to start the engine---but I am just as anxious to see this thing run as you are!!!---

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Good luck, Brian!  :thumbup:

Waiting, with bated breath........   

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
But you forgot to mount a starter motor !

Best of luck, I hope that it runs smoothly
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »
As I began my final assembly of the engine, a thought occurred to me. The displacement of this engine is quite large in relation to the volume inside the crankcase. I am breaking new ground here (for me anyways) and I thought it MIGHT need a crankcase vent. It might not, too, but now is the time to put one in, while I can still pull the engine all apart and flush it out before I put the rod and piston back in. If I don't need one, that's fine, it won't do any harm and didn't cost any money. If it does need one, at least it's in there.----Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
After a full day of final assembly, individual cam timing, ignition timing, adding a new set of points and condenser, adjusting valve lash, and making a starter spud to fit this particular engine, I am just about ready to Rock and Roll. Has it got compression?--Hard to tell. It's a brand new engine, and it's too stiff to tell if I have compression or not when turning it over by hand. Tomorrow should tell me more---

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »
Still holding me breath........

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!