The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock

<< < (3/49) > >>

Brian Rupnow:

--- Quote from: awemawson on August 03, 2014, 05:08:41 AM ---Looking good Brian  :bow:

What CAD package are you using?  ('cos I like it  :wave:)

--- End quote ---
Solidworks

Brian Rupnow:
I gave up on the idea of having a steel backplate with welded in stubshafts. Last night I lay in bed thinking, and I had originally intended to solder the cams onto the face of the gears. This is always a somewhat "iffy" proposition, and as I have said all along, I want to be able to adjust the cam timing independent of the gear teeth. I decided I would be able to do that if I added a hub and set screws to one side of the gears and silver soldered the cams to the 3/8" shaft, while leaving the gears free to rotate into whatever position I wanted them to be in relation to the cam position, then lock them to the shaft with the set screws in the gear hub. This means of course, that the shafts must now be able to rotate. So---I changed the steel plate to an aluminum plate, with two 1" long oilite bronze bushings pressed into the thick part of the plate. The blue circles you see are the heads on the ends of the two cam shafts. They need shallow heads on them to keep then from trying to pull out of the bushings as they revolve. The other end of the camshafts which support the gears and the cams is still cantilevered, but it's only a 7/8" cantilever from the edge of the aluminum plate out to the centerline of the cams, so I don't anticipate any bending. The jockey gear is made from bronze and rotates on a 3/8" steel shoulder bolt which screws into the side of the crank case.

Brian Rupnow:
We have to get a set of my favourite Chrysler product ignition points mounted somewhere, and since we are in the design phase, I might as well mount them on an adjustable plate so I can adjust the ignition timing while the engine is running. That is easy enough to do by extending the end of the outer crankshaft bushing and bumping up the extended diameter to 5/8". I can then clamp the ignition points mounting plate onto the head of the bushing.

tom osselton:
Shouldn't the points be on the cam you don't want them firing every revolution?

awemawson:
A timing chain and three sprockets would greatly simplify the gear set up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version