Author Topic: Surface Grinding on the Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Surface Grinding on the Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Hi Guys

For a long time now I have wanted to use the Stent for surface grinding, it is years since I used a proper surface grinder, and needed a little revision. First I made a temporary wheel guard and clamped it in position. I then mounted a 3inch,  60 grit wheel to the machine then trimmed the wheel with a diamond dresser, which was clamped to the table.  When I was looking for something else I came across a small 6 inch magnetic table, which I had completely forgotten about.

Cheers David

PICS  AND MORE TO FOLLOW LATER
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:57:48 AM by Meldonmech »

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Surface Grinding on the Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
I have a 'short' base fabricated Stent. Compared to the Quorn it is not quite as versatile but far easier to set up. I was sort of crafty by making the spindles on the Quorn and the Kennet interchangeable so the wheels could be interchanged without having to remount and seriously re-dress the assorted stones.

Having said all that, I am delighted to learn that you have also a small magnetic table as I have. It opens a brand new horizon.  Following a reference that was way back in the 70's, I fitted the old Reliance drill grinder to work on the table as well. I think that the proper drill jig was the  Potts one. I got as far as the three Potts drilling and grinding jigs- gave one away and wanted to do ornamental turning on the Myford. Something got in the way- marriage or children or time  :bang:

Enjoy your Stent

Norman

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:45 AM »

Norman thanks for your interesting post, I have not heard of anyone else having a magnetic table on the Stent.  The drill jig I built was one I discovered in an old 1950s ME by some one called Multiplex.  It includes a caliper that measures and sets the drill dia, then the jig is set up from that. The complete jig is fabricated, and may be based on the Potts jig.

Cheers David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:58:48 AM »

The magnetic table was clamped to the machine slide and a square steel test piece locked in position. The test piece was positioned under the wheel.  The machine was switched on, and the wheel carefully lowered slowly until the faintest spark was seen.  As no coolant was available the table was very slowly and uniformly traversed, producing my first cut. The table was traversed back to the start position, and a 4thou cut put on using the cross slide. This procedure was repeated until the test piece had been ground all over a the same depth of cut.  After a while applying the cut, and traversing the table becomes almost automatic, and it is good to get a feel for the operation.  For the first attempt the results are encouraging, the finish is reasonable, and I believe the potential for improvement is there. There is a rougher finish on the inner edge of the test piece, on examining the wheel the face appeared not to be square, increasing the depth of cut progressively. May be the wheel dresser moved, must mount it more positively on the next trial.

Cheers David

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:21:46 AM »
Multiplex is new- or I AM getting really old :bow:
Maybe for others who are following your excellent post, it is fair to mention that Derek Brooks writing in MEW 16 and 17 modified the splendid tool holder of Professor Chaddock's graduated tool holder on his Quorn. Of course, the Quorn was on a pair of round 1" round bars whereas Mr Brooks's one fits any grinder with a flat table( my comments about easier set ups :thumbup:) Actually, it is better( my view) than the basic Clarkson set up.
So this leads me to rather nice setups which may be of interest.
The Brooks holder( for want of a better term) has the facility to take a Myford series of chucks etc but also No2 morse taper items such as collets and drill chucks. As it is able to tilt and
Rotate using graduations. Logically, this does things like 4 facet drill grinding and slot drills and end mills very simply. With a bit of thought, it all can go on the mill as well :poke:

However, this keeping old Chaddocks/Brooks concepts, one can shape abrasive wheels to do fancier grinding.

So that is my take. Maybe it will stimulate further thought to enjoy an excellent tool

Norman