Author Topic: That Special Screw Driver  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Meldonmech

That Special Screw Driver
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:49 AM »
Hi Guys

More and more I am coming across those horrible screws where there is a lump right in the middle of the screw head slot. Often they are recessed into a hole which makes extraction even more difficult.  This called for a mod to one of my old screwdrivers. 
                     A slot was sawn in the screwdriver blade then finished to size using a square needle file, to fit the corresponding
 screw head. This works perfectly and different sized screw drivers are on the to do list.

Cheers David

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Re: That Special Screw Driver
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:31:18 AM »

I've never seen that type of screw before  :scratch:

Are they a form of tamper proof screw?
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
Hi

Yes they are, and frequently fitted to both small and large domestic appliances, where they want you to buy new, rather than have them repaired. Large manufacturers propagate the throw away society, which contributes to millions of tons of land fill rubbish, unnecessarily. 

Cheers David

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Good job. Those fasteners don't exactly look good quality either! We've bought a couple of domestic appliances recently and they largely have Torx screws in them, at least the easily accessed ones.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
I've found that most anti-tamper and anti-theft devices are designed to eventually relieve the purchaser of his wallet.

You can postpone this problem for a couple years by purchasing an extended warranty. For additional cash.

Unless of course you can work out a way to break into your own possession.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
I have this terrible problem where I cant help but look inside most things I buy. Makes warranties kind of useless!

I saw a thing a while ago where a fella was replacing save batteries in old game cartridges, and he made a 'triangle' screwdriver by heating up a bit of plastic (I think a pen lid) till it was molten and then shoving it into the screw to mould the matching triangle. Clever, but I don't imagine it'd take much torque.

I still find anti tamper screws a bit strange though. It seems like anyone capable of repairing the item would have no problem making a tool that can unscrew them. Maybe it's one of those management decisions to keep shareholders happy.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Tamper proof screws are very nice to have on public places like toilets, because a small part of population can't resist temptation of the fasteners and tries to (un)screw  :lol: them on any opportunity.

Tamper proof screws on home appliances are twofold signals:
* There is nothing worth fixing here - ref. maintenance free batteries.
* Corporate has had it's share of lawsuits from boneheads that have tried to convert electric fan, toaster and chainsaw to something more entertaining.

But I have bought the whole set of tamper proof screw bits that has allowed me to change a cord to iron. Among others.

I used to train some people on safety on one product. I gave some tamper proof bits that fitted into some safety devices for maintenance purposes - only to those people that arrived into training and client trusted ....hope they did not hand them down as candies, because some people are designed to tamper with any and all safety devises that are protected to prevent them from killing someone. Which is hopeless of-course, because idiots are damn crafty. Therefore much products are made way more complicated than they really need to be if people who use then would use some common sense. But our society is geared to find someone to blame. Very few people enjoy being blamed and anyone who has been ever on court (or police for questioning) will sow those tamper proof fasteners like there were no tommorow.

Pekka

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:02:12 AM »
 If you search  for "Tamper proof screwdriver bits"  on E'bay you will find some, varying from $20 up. They cover all sorts of these weird and wonderful shapes. My set was from a local cheap hardware shop.  Still, for now you have solved the immediate problem.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 03:32:04 AM »
You can get whole cheapo sets of the things in UK, and probably elsewhere  as John B says... although you need a hex driver handle to fit.

Similar to this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00391/33-piece-security-bit-set/dp/TL11203

Note they can't spell ' Tri-Wing' ..... pillocks ...

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 06:05:51 AM »
I still find anti tamper screws a bit strange though. It seems like anyone capable of repairing the item would have no problem making a tool that can unscrew them. Maybe it's one of those management decisions to keep shareholders happy.

Agreed. I rented a Video many years ago and the tape was twisted inside. It was a little drive to the shop so I quickly filed a tri wing driver from a cost hanger to get into it, job done!  :dremel:

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments, Dave thanks for the CPC reference, I have not seen slotted screwdriver bits before.

Cheers  David

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
hi just a heds up you can by them type of ends they cum in a block with all types of fitings i will dig min out and pos a pic

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:57 AM »
You can get whole cheapo sets of the things in UK, and probably elsewhere  as John B says... although you need a hex driver handle to fit.

Similar to this:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00391/33-piece-security-bit-set/dp/TL11203

Note they can't spell ' Tri-Wing' ..... pillocks ...

Dave

We'll give them 4 out of 10 marks for trywing  :lol:....I wonder if they stock those Torks talks screwdriver bits too. :palm:

On a serious note, the packs of hexagonal security screwdriver bits often aren't suitable to extract security screws from deep recessed holes due to the diameter of the socket style screw bit holder being to large in diameter to fit down the recessed hole that the screw is located in.

The best and most versatile solution is to purchase purpose made round shank security screwdriver sets to suit the most common applications encountered.

Another solution to extracting awkward security screws in a deep hole is to use a Dremel disc to cut a straight screwdriver slot in the driven end of a hexagonal security bit and use a straight blade screwdriver to turn it and the offending screw....OZ.

Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:56 AM »
I have seen those cheeseheads with cetral tab, hex/torx with a pin in the middle on normal consumer products. When I encounterd first one I swore and then ground screw driver to fit. Just like on the first mail. Some torx/hex bolts were super simple to open with common tools after knockin the "post" off. Went really easy. Then I bought one set of bits that has served me this far.

I have seen some security screws that looks like torx, but have different number of lobes in them.

Here on boat mooring U bolts and outboard engine transom mout bolts and nuts have a head that will snap off when tightened. Makes stealing the boat or engine somewhat harder. On guarded piers that is extra security, but on non quared piers tieves cut out the mount out of the transom to steal outboard motor! It's a tradeoff. Bit like aluminium wheel nuts. I personaly use normal nuts, so I know that I can maintain my personal stuff everywhere and not to look for that "special" key. And buy crapiest lookking stuff ever, because I like kling on my stuff.

Pekka

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Hello folk
More about screws here.
 :lol:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/30/buzzgasm_screws/

Trev

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

Very clever Trevor   

Cheers David

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

I have seen some security screws that looks like torx, but have different number of lobes in them.

Pekka

Pekka

Some I often  came across  were  Bristol AKA Spline Key driven ...

But if you're really into diverse ways of driving fasteners ... Here you are, fill your boots ...  :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wrench#Bristol

Bristol sockets are in there somewhere ...

Bye

Dave

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Dave I had no idea there were so many, hope I never come across the majority of these, I would need a cupboard full of special screwdrivers.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
I have a bunch of Bristol Spline keys from many years back when some piece of equipment I worked on used them - cannot remember what - possibly an 80 column card reader / punch
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »
I have a bunch of Bristol Spline keys from many years back when some piece of equipment I worked on used them - cannot remember what - possibly an 80 column card reader / punch

Yup! That's where I met them. IBM Kit, way back in antique times long ago ...

Dave

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »

Pekka

Pekka

Some I often  came across  were  Bristol AKA Spline Key driven ...

But if you're really into diverse ways of driving fasteners ... Here you are, fill your boots ...  :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wrench#Bristol

Bristol sockets are in there somewhere ...

Bye

Dave

Dave, your link contained this:
 The tamper-resistant Torx is also made in a five-lobed variant. These "5-star" Torx configurations are commonly used in correctional facilities, public facilities and government schools, but can also be found in some electronic devices.

Seen them on some security devices. There are really many different types.

Pekka