Author Topic: Bridgeport jammed ram  (Read 11721 times)

Offline micktoon

Bridgeport jammed ram
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
Hi All , I have recently aquired a slotting head from Rob to fit to my Bridgeport mill, as per usual one job leads to another. Firstly the ram was solid when I tried to move it and I had to slide it to be able to swivel the head to fit the slotter, the slotting head was off a beaver mill and slightly different to the Brigeport mounting so a hole in the ram casting had to be enlarged.

After trying Wd40 etc , raw hide mallet, I resorted to the internet and found out the ram not sliding is quite a common problem and the best way around it seems to be clamping the ram forward with a sash clamp at each side and also trying to jack up the head slightly via wood blocks resting on the table and cranking the table to take the strain, well these did work but a right pain to do as the sash clamps want to pop off the curved surfaces of the ram and body and have to be turned one half turn each side and re set at the end of their screw thread travel, it would have been good to have been born with three hands for the job.

This is the sash clamp and wood arrangement, there was actually one clamp each side of the ram in the end to get it to move and the wood blocks were there to try and jack up to get releasing fluid to creep into the dovetails. I have at about half an hour to an hour per slide from back to front got it to move say 4 times and  cleaned and oiled the dovetails as they stick out but its still only moving with the clamps, everything is loosened off etc , I am hoping the slotting head might balance out the weight from one end of the ram to the other and make it move better .

This photo shows what needed to be done to make the slotter fit , the Bridgeport ram hole is smaller than the one in the Beaver mill bracket that is resting on top in the photo, making the hole bigger meant the slotter could use the original pin and collars , nuts etc.

I turned up this tool , it fits through the original Beaver bracket as it is in this photo ( Beaver have a separate bolt on part where the Bridgeport has cast eye in the ram ) the tool at the lower end has the right size end to sit in the hole that is in the bridgeport ram and the top is turned to fit into a drill chuck, the bottom end has a tool steel cutter fitted to it.

The bracket is then clamped with the tool in place this keeps the two holes in line and ensures the tool runs in the old bracket and widens the hole that is too small, well thats the therory anyway, I tried it and it was hardly cutting  , Rob ended up kindly coming over to help me he reground the cutter and it was doing the job but still a pain and was flattening battery drills at some rate and wanting to burn out mains powered drill after a good while slowly keeping at it and keep charging battries it was getting there.

This is the set up with the drill in place.

The finished hole, after a clean up with a flap wheel so the pin was a nice fit.

The bracket in position , it locks up as it should and is ready for the slotting head to be fitted, this has lead to the fact that the mill will need to be moved further out from the wall as there is not enough room to swing the head with the slotter fitted lol, another job to the list , I am going to make a jackable castor stand for the mill so its moveable in future.

Rob deserves a big thanks for helping me get the bracket fitted , I had been at it all day and would have cracked up trying to get it sorted on my own so Cheers Rob I owe you one mate.

Cheers Mick.

Rob.Wilson

Re: Bridgeport jammed ram
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:45 AM »
Lets no when you need a lift fitting the slotting head ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will get John round  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:37 AM »
When i fitted my Beaver slotter to the original POS bridgy i just made a stepped pin. Worked OK.

It's now on the new Bligeport but I had to mill 10mm off the bracket ears  [ 4mm one side and 6mm the other as they differ in thickness ] because the ram is a lot heavier on this new mill.
John Stevenson

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
 The slotter is fitted , well located would be a more apt term as its not wired up yet and the mill is now stuck in limbo until its moved forward as the head wont clear the wall or cupboard now  :palm: , I knew this would be the case and am planning on making a castored base with jacking points so the mill can be moved if need be, it will be worth doing just to be able to get to the rear of the machine for repairs etc............. so another project lol , as well as fitting two new inverters and the DRO, watch this space but dont hold your breath !

This is the slotter bolted on , swivels and locks up spot on.

Cheers Mick

Offline markball2

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »
Nice solution to boring the mounting hole larger.
I haven't always been a nurse..................

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:12 AM »
Hi Mick,
                 Nice bit of kit youve aquired, looks well balanced on the mill. Is it going to have the matching green livery?

Cheers  David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
All sounds rather familiar - when I fitted the slotting head to my Bridgeport at my last house I ended up cutting gaps in the shelving so it would rotate to the front. I still had to extend the ram as far as it would go, swing it round, then push the ram back. Not too much hassle as it wasn't used very often.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »
  Cheers for the comments lads, David it will be getting the traditional green paintwork to match once its all working and tested  ( I have learnt the hard way that painting things before testing leads to it not working then needing re painted  :palm: )

Cheers Mick.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
Well its an age since this problem was shelved due to other things getting done but I have finally solved the problem!.
  I could not get the ram to shift with the sash clamps in the corner , I tried various anti seize releasing type oils etc but none worked  so I had to eventually move the mill so I could get around it and also use a chain hoist to take the weight of the ram and milling and slotting head when I tried to get it free. Needless to say this was a right job in its self as I had it on a steel frame rawl bolted to the floor then concreted in etc.
  Anyway once it was in place it was easier to keep winding the sash clamps back and forth even though they were keep trying to slip off and needed re setting every 3 inches etc, it was still seized tight so the clamps only just managed to slowly shift it back and forward.

This was the set up under the lifting hook and with the weight supported and the sash clamps on each side of the ram.

As you can see from this photo even with the ram fully forward then fully back it left a six inch section that never stuck out to be oiled, this must have been the stuck area as the sections that did stick out were spottless and oiled, as you can see in the second photo.

I had the rack and pinion removed and just kept jacking right forward then right back and oiled each time, still nothing improving, I then decided to lift the whole machine on the lifting eye so it was hanging off the ram in effect and the sash clamps were easier to operate, once it was fully at the back of the ram the machine tilted backwards so it was resting on the back corners , I then put light oil at the front of the dovetail and went for my tea hoping it would seep backwards with gravity.................... I replaced the pinion and it moved it an inch or so , so kept working and oiling it and all of a sudden its totally free and able to be moved via the proper lever with one hand easy.

So just a case of the oil dried out ? , it did used to work and once the oile had got under the dovetail again it was sorted. All I can say is if you have a bridgeport or similar mill is operate the ram back and forth every so often as this was a right hassle to get freed off.

After I was thinking I could have drilled the section of the ram that was sticking out from the side then up over and fitted an oil nipple then jacked the new nipples over the machine side of the dovetail and pumped oild between the two surfaces and this would have done the job I think as the problem seems to have been the weight of the ram is wiping the oil off as it goes back into the housing.
  Anyway Job done................ I just have to re paint half the mill now lol.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Wow, that was a job!

Mick, you're getting to be an expert at unsticking machinery.   :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »
Those are nice clamps I have a pair of 3' ones from dad nice to know they have a name I'd like some more of them!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »
It might be worth checking the gib to see if it is properly locked in place by the adjusting screws (especially important if it has a tapered gib).

If the gib moves relative to the fixed slide then it can jam .

Of course, it might just have been dry but...

Bill
Bill

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:41 PM »
Hi
 Mick
 Pleased to hear you have it sorted
 Every time you walk past the mill you will be moving the head in and ouy :jaw: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
well dun mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
 Hi Lads thanks for the comments,
                                                         Bill the dovetail does not have a gib, its just a snug ish fit sliding dovetail and is locked into position with two bolts that pull blocks in to lcok the dovetail to one side before you would operate the machine at whatever position you choose . You are dead right about the tapered gibs jamming as the  Y axis on the bridgeport was doing this the end of the tapered gib had fractured off so every time you backed the table towards yourself while operating the machine, the gib would be able to be dragged in like a wedge and jam the table , if you wound the table towards the colum it freed up but would jam coming away from the colum............. its another thing on the to do list lol.
  John I get up at four hour intervals all through the night and wind that B*****d back and foreward now  :bugeye: :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:16 AM »
Nice work there Mick - I missed this thread first time around, I'm surprised no-one mentioned the lack of winding handle, but I guess it wasn't that after all...

You do realise, you have to re-tram the damn thing every time you move the head? Which is one reason I try very hard not to if I can possibly help it (which translates to: Every job I do, I have to move the b*stard head first...!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
Hi Ade,
           no one mentioned the winding handle and I never gave it a thought , I had took it out to eliminate it from my investigations so to speak, like you say it was not involved so no charges were brought against it  :D

I try never to move the ram for the same reason lol , but I will be tramming rather than doing all this again  :dremel: :thumbup:

Cheers Mick