Author Topic: Seeking Sieg X3 DRO info please  (Read 2683 times)

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
Seeking Sieg X3 DRO info please
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
I’m trying to make a couple decisions on a DRO for my Sieg X3 mill.  Apologies in advance for duplicate-posting this on several of my favorite forums but I’m hoping someone has been through this already and has some good advice.  I’d like to pull the trigger today before my tightwad alter ego steps in & shuts me down.:)

#1 - I’m going with either the mTECH DRO3M or the TDS-3i LCD package from http://www.thedrostore.com/  What’s the difference other than the latter being $30.00 higher?  I’m on a tight budget but obviously $30 more isn’t much.

#2 – What scale lengths to get?  I’ve found only 2 specific notes about the X3 on the web.  One says
X axis – 350mm
Y axis – 150mm
Z axis – 450mm
These exact lengths are not available from the drostore.com.

The other says
X axis – 320mm
Y axis – 170mm
Z axis – 420mm
These exact lengths are available from the drostore.com.

Anybody have any first hand experience they can share?
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline chipenter

Jeff

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
Re: Seeking Sieg X3 DRO info please
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff; they have some great info there. :beer:
Milton in Tennesee

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
To save the hassle and know its correct, measure yourself the actual travels easier and quicker than searching. Also negates any differences on the production runs.
Then add on the reading head 126mm for a GS300 type. http://www.agl-distribution.co.uk/docs/mdro/m-dro-gs300-encoders_technical.pdf

I cant make out whether those scales are the GS200 or GS500 info is a bit deprived, normally I would steer clear and use a company that provides accurate needed info.
If GS500 add 112mm to length of travel.
GS500  http://www.agl-distribution.co.uk/docs/mdro/m-dro-gs500-encoders_technical.pdf

Difference  between the two prices $30 is the ' I ' readout is Universal that will need setting up for 'Either' Lathe or Mill. It has a few extra functions over a pure lathe or mill readout but not required. So get the cheaper.

Anyone that would want that readout for lathe I would specifically ask whether one axis (Y) can be specifically programmed for 1/2 the display of X and Z axis. Simple terms 25mm dia round need to end up 24mm dia if Y axis not halved or cannot you would wind in 0.5mm to end up 24mm, it will catch you out.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Great post Jonny, thanks a lot!  I thought the cheaper of the 2 was the best option for me but wasn't sure.

With that worry out of the way, I can do some more measuring to decide the scale length to get for my X-axis which is equipped with a power feed.
Milton in Tennesee