The Shop > Finishing

Grit Blasting and Moisture

<< < (3/3)

awemawson:
I solved my problem by buying 1 ton of crushed glass. It flows much more easily than the stone grit that I was using, and is more tolerant of moisture in the air.

I'm told though don't use it for exposed oak beams - the tiny glass particles embed in the crevices in the wood, and sparkle. Apparently they are pretty well impossible to remove. Presumably other grits do the same but don't reflect the light in the same way.

Arbalist:
I need to buy some new media when I set up again. I used to use AO which was fine but notice MM sell glass beads. Anyone tried them?
I used to run my old blaster from a small 2.5 HP 25L which was half the minimum recommended size for my cabinet and it worked fine for the small items I needed it for. Like most though my compressor is very noisy, anyone tried using one of those "noiseless" ones to run a small cabinet. I know the figures say the output is too low but then so was the one I've been using over the past 12 years!  :D perhaps it's doable if I reduce the nozzle size? As I say I'm only blasting small stuff, not houses!

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi All,
Blasting with glass can also be a health hazard
Pressure needs to be kept low (60 lb ??) to prevent the glass breaking up and
releasing the dreaded silicates  :(

John

awemawson:
I use a positive pressure Apollo helmet when 'free' blasting what ever media I'm using. In the blast cabinet it's under negative pressure from an exhaust system, so either way the nasties are kept at bay  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version