The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Black Powder Cannon

(1/5) > >>

BronxFigs:
I want to turn some small, Black Powder cannon barrels from scrap steel.  I want to use solid steel roundstock for the barrels to eliminate boring for the liners.  The bores will range from 0.500" - 1.250" diameter.  Barrel OAL between 12" - 20".  These will NOT be competition tubes, and they will be used for firing occasional, salutes (blanks). 

Questions:
1.   What kind of steel is recommended for black powder barrels.  I can find suitable diameter bar-stock at local scrap yards, and at the local Iron Works which fabricates  iron fence, structural steel weldments, etc.)...but I have no idea what alloys to purchase.  I'm sure the Iron Works will be able to identify the steel roundstock that they are selling....but steel bought at the scrap yards...who knows what it is.  Can I take the chance and use unidentified steel for making a cannon barrel?  Aren't the steels of today - whatever the alloy - strong enough to withstand non-abusive, blank-loads?  (Loads between 70-200 grains of Black Powder).

2.   How do I drill a deep hole down the center of the solid steel rod?  I can buy extra long drills but will that give me a reasonably centered hole down the barrel?  Or, will the drill bit wander off center?  Do/Should I bore a hole first, and then, go in with a drill bit to the required depth?  Step drill?

I will be using a large 14" swing lathe, and I also have use of a drill press,and  milling machine.  Trunninons will be welded into the sides of the barrel.

I am familiar with the shooting and loading of black powder firearms and cannons.  Under the loading parameters that were stated...do I have to "proof" these barrels?  If yes, how much of a percentage of an overload charge is enough to proof the barrels...200%....300%...?

Any suggestions?

Frank

Jonny:
Birmingham Proof House has a cannon outside in the yard and will be worth a call. Law to themselves.

I would check in to the legislation, ownership and whether it could be added to your cert whether blank fire or not, it could still fire ball.

The shockwave off a 10guage blank in the 3 Remingtons used to start the IOW boat race is almost enough to blow windows out.
If you know or can work out the operating pressure you initially could test yourself with an hydraulic hand pump and guage for as little as £74.

Arbalist:
In the UK you'd need a licence but doubt Frank would need one in the US would he?

BronxFigs:
Thank you for the interest. 

Frank

Arbalist:
Frank, I would have thought even today's mild steel would be stronger than most of the materials used in bygone ordnance. If you stick to the same proportions (OD/bore etc) used for old canon then I would have thought that would be fine for firing blanks. Would be keen to see what you come up with in any case! Good luck with the project.

PS. I've always liked the look of the old Dalhgren's used in the civil war ironclads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version