Author Topic: Opinions on Quick Change Tool Posts.....  (Read 15481 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Opinions on Quick Change Tool Posts.....
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »
Probably nobody looked up the ME reference, but to explain, the earlier toolholders I mentioned don't actually use a toolpost per se. They are separate tool blocks that get clamped down onto the carriage table. The clamp could be a quick acting one.

The nice thing is that the tool block can be oriented in any way or position -- it isn't tied to a post, and it also has the highest level of stiffness since there is no post and it can be positioned ideally on the table for the cut.

It also appeals to me because of its simplicity. I wish I could reproduce the articles here rather than just reference them in old ME issues.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
I think that for some repetitive applications, a rotating tool post containing all of the tools required for the job (shimmed to height of course!) might actually be quicker than a QCTP!

Rod,

It might be marginally quicker once you've spent time shimming the tools but, in my opinion, the 4-way toolpost is still such a dangerous accessory with sharp tools stuck out everywhere. Give me my quick change tool holders any time.

Phil.

Believe me !  I've  got  the scars  to prove it.  A fraction of a second...  Its too late  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Jonny

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
I think that for some repetitive applications, a rotating tool post containing all of the tools required for the job (shimmed to height of course!) might actually be quicker than a QCTP!

Not only quicker but more substantial as in no movement.
Used to run a 140 with three 4 way posts and interchangeable with quick release on T slot. Did same on previous two lathes easy to get on centre for boring bars just drill with mill cutter of same diameter to leave required bore size.

What I did miss is 90 degree indexing, certain tools need to be square but didn't want to be held back by that none infinite adjustability.
You can only do repetitive stuff if you have a datum to work from.